Why become a member? ×

F/S Tobias Standard V SOLD

victor5string

Ok up for sale is my Tobias standard V in white. this ia a very very rare bass only around 400 were ever made and i've never seen one for sale in white!
the following text explains the history of the bass

It was made in 1992 (after the Gibson buyout but before they took over production) in Japan and states on the headstock that it was "Fabricated in Japan to standards set by Tobias Guitars, assembly & Q.A. at Tobias Guitars, Burbank, CA.. U.S.A." Here’s the explanation from Mike Tobias himself: [url="http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html"]http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html[/url]
“Basses built during 1990-1992 era were built initially by the same crew that had helped establish Tobias Basses as one of the most sought after basses on the planet.
Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards.
Late in 1992, it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew.”

specs
34" scale
bartolini pickups
Bartolini TCT preamp(as i belive USA MTD's preamps are based around this pre)
neck thru with swamp ash wings and 5 piece maple and bubinga neck with rosewood board
tobias hard case included

as this bass is the best part of 20 years old there are a few bumps but that are in the area of the jack sockect so when palying can not be seen.

reason for sale is i need to move on to 35" scale as the band i play in play alot of low b riffs and i need some more tension in the low register.

Ok so this baby is up for sale(again) £520 this price is so low for this bass get it now

,[attachment=49972:026.JPG]
[attachment=49973:027.JPG]
[attachment=49974:028.JPG]
[attachment=49975:029.JPG]

Edited by victor5string

I'm always up for temptation!

Good to see the pix, it's a great looking bass indeed. My next purchase [i]probably[/i] won't be a bass as it happens, but I always check out stuff that sounds interesting, as you never know. I'm slowly building the GAS fund again right now and keeping options open ...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Larmer' post='867232' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:52 PM']Would you share the string spacing with the rest of us too?[/quote]

its tight like a Warwick so about 16.5-17mm this is rough as i only have a tape measure at the mo nothing else but its NOT 19mm you can tell by the pic's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...