Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor pedal

drewm

In an inspired moment yesterday, I remembered that I had an old Trace Elliot compressor pedal somewhere. A rummage around in the garage through the boxes of stuff I moved out of home with, and success! I found the pedal neatly boxed up in its original box, complete with manual and a set of duracells which must be at least 10 years old and still working!

It's a fantastic pedal - bought it from new at Manson's in Exeter about 15 years ago, I think. But it takes 2 9v batteries, so it's not cheap to run.

The only 18v power supplies I can find online from Maplin etc are for laptops and cost about £70. Eek.

Searching on the same issue, I've found talk of using a 'voltage doubler' with a 9v source. Anyone know what that is or where I could find one?

[quote name='bartelby' post='832317' date='May 9 2010, 04:26 PM'][url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/18v-dc-regulated-power-supply-7-p.asp"]How about this[/url]?[/quote]

I'd literally just found that myself - looks perfect. Manual says centre pin is negative, so I guess I'll order one up and see if it works.

Thanks!

[quote name='drewm' post='832329' date='May 9 2010, 04:36 PM']I'd literally just found that myself - looks perfect. Manual says centre pin is negative, so I guess I'll order one up and see if it works.

Thanks![/quote]

Let me know what it's like. I've just snapped the plastic earth pin off my TE power supply.
:)
For the time being I'll just gaffa tape the plug into an extension lead...

I just changed the batteries, as although it's impressive that those old duracell's are still going, I didn't think it wise to rely on them. The expiration date on them? March 2003!

They'd gone a bit green around the contacts!

[quote name='drewm' post='832359' date='May 9 2010, 05:04 PM']I just changed the batteries, as although it's impressive that those old duracell's are still going, I didn't think it wise to rely on them. The expiration date on them? March 2003!

They'd gone a bit green around the contacts![/quote]

I'm finding the batteries last forever. Wondering whether it uses power at all or has some perpetual motion thing going on in there. :)

Awesome compressor.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='drewm' post='832329' date='May 9 2010, 04:36 PM']I'd literally just found that myself - looks perfect. Manual says centre pin is negative, so I guess I'll order one up and see if it works.

Thanks![/quote]

A bit late to the party, but in the same boat myself. Did it work?