Why become a member? ×

Filipino Ray by Les Claypool

cheddatom

I'm pretty sure i've worked out the main bit, but it sounds like he's doing a lot more than I can tell, like loads of slapped or popped ghost notes or something. anyway, I can't find a decent performance video online, and i'd really like to be able to play this monstor bassline.

Surely there is someone on BC who can help...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='868166' date='Jun 15 2010, 04:58 PM']Doddy might know.[/quote]

...and here he comes now.

It's basically just a big E minor Pentatonic scale over 2 octaves. Like most of Les Claypool's stuff it's not that difficult
as far as the actual notes go,but he's got a great right hand which,in this case,is constantly thumbing muted notes
while he's hammering on to a lot of the notes.
I've got no way of writing it out and posting it,but that's basically all it is.

Edited by Doddy

I thought he might be doing that. There's no way I can get my right hand going that fast :) I can play the line just without all the funky little mutes that are very difficult to hear, and I guess they'd be pretty easy to work out if I could play that fast! Oh well, i'd better get practising.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I learned this, I take it you speak of the main riff?
Difficult to put into text but I think it's already been answered.
Claypool's stuff is GENIUS but NEVER as hard as you think, in some senses learning his songs spoils the magic.
He's very right hand driven, lots of bouncing and going against the laws Wooten slappers use of saving energy, this guy jus does it the old way.

Listen for where the ghost notes are and jus hit em, it's very hard to explain I've learned so many Primus and Claypool songs my hand just goes that way now.
Odd as it sounds, I think Mr. Pink by Level 42 helped me a lot back in college to get the stamina needed for Claypool slaps.

It's pretty much just repeated but later on in the chorus (I guess) he goes kinda crazy on the pops but as usual this is just one of his long time trademarks you'll find in most songs.

One of my fav songs, such a strong riff. Oh and don't forget the ring modulation, just a smidge, not too much.

Edited by Kongo

heh, the problem is i'm not sure where the ghost notes are. I'm listening but it's too hard to tell, even when I slow the track down. I can play the main riff, but i'm missing most of the ghosts so it doesn't sounds right. I might have a clip of me playing it at home I can upload later to give you a better idea.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='881818' date='Jun 30 2010, 12:22 PM']heh, the problem is i'm not sure where the ghost notes are. I'm listening but it's too hard to tell, even when I slow the track down. I can play the main riff, but i'm missing most of the ghosts so it doesn't sounds right. I might have a clip of me playing it at home I can upload later to give you a better idea.[/quote]

It's in my head, and I'm playing it "air thumb" style right now lol...but it's so hard to put in text, I know exactly what your asking but can't find a way to answer.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='882897' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:35 PM']At first I thought his right hand was just totally regular going very fast (far too fast for me) but now i'm pretty sure it's not. Arrgh. If only there was a video of him playing it[/quote]

Watch any Primus live vid you'll see it. It is his right hand, very fast bouncing off the string.
His left hand will just be dampening the notes and that's it, bog standard slap technique just done fast is all.