Why become a member? ×

Tubes for SVP-PRO

Dvisions

Hey guys,

My SVP-pro has the common hum/hiss problems that SVPs are notorious for having. I was wondering on what tube combination people have had luck with on eliminating this problem with?
I'd love to start using it in my main set up, but its just too noisey at the moment!

Cheers guys.

Hey dvisions! Somewhere lurking on BassChat is a really good thread answering exactly this question. I haven't looked for it yet - but of you have a go with the search facility you'll be sure to find it.

In my experience, you are going to notice a good difference as soon as you lose those bog standard 'stock' valves. My personal choice so far has been a Telefunken clone from Watford Valves, known as the Harma Diamond STR ECC83 and then a Jan Phillips ECC82 in the 'other' position (four ECC83/12ax7, 1 ECC82/12AU7*). However, I like GT, Ruby, JJ and those wonderful Mullards too. (Incidently, the Harma's ARE actually quality picked JJ's - but thats another story). Go for selected quality preamp valves known for low microphonics - however you'll no doubt have lots of fun choosing - as they can all sound different. It'll be down to personal taste and deep pockets to find a brand and model you like. - To make things even more confusing - some valves sound good in one brand of amplifier, but can sound naff in another!

The stock valves you are likely to have in the pre are Sovtek. You can actually get some Sovtek upgrades, which will be better - but I'm not sure what the model number of those are. Sorry.

*12AX7 /AU7 is just the US naming convention for the UK's ECC83/82 and the AX7 is interchangeable with the 83, AU7 with the 82 and require no special setting up. It's like changing a light bulb for preamp valves!

If you want some good tubes at a great price , check out my UNUSED Groove Tubes.....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86961"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86961[/url]

[attachment=48999:DSC_0001.JPG]

Edited by voxpop