Why become a member? ×

what strings ?

Hi,
I play a hungarian 1950's lam bass in a punchy rock three piece, i am currently using a kand k quad and wing pickup and thomastik spirocores, (through phil jones flight case)
I am not 100% happy with the sound and have been considering a change of pick up to fishman full circle and pro eq pre amp and would also like to try a softer string, but need to maintain a defined and clear sound, is the any one out there who has any recomendations? what do people think of rotossound rs 4000 ? thanks. matt.

Hi Matt. Hard call on strings as each bass is different and any strings will react differently on any bass. How old are your Spiros? Has your bass been setup recently? I've not tried the Roto's. I use Innovation Honeys currently. They are warmer sounding than steel strings, but less defined in pitch. The Evah Pirazzi weichs may be good to try for you.

Lots of good things on the net about the Full Circle but again, some pups sound great on one bass and rubbish on another. The Upton Revolution 2 is another option. It sounded more open and natural on my bass than the K&K bass max does. I'm looking into one of those APTflex film pups to try.

You've presumably searched the DB forum on talkbass for info. If not, go over there and read your head off. You'll come away even more confused :)
I've found it's kind of a buy and try thing with double bass. Hopefully you'll find the sound you're after without breaking the bank.