Why become a member? ×

Stingray 2 eq

Jigster

I'm considering a 2eq MM - - but if the eq is boost only in 2eq models i worry cos I always find Stingrays a bit too trebly and with my current 3eq I'm able to use the cut option and get the sound I prefer: does anyone have an opinion on how prominent the treble is on 2eq cos if it's too prominent and I can't use a cut facility I'd worry

i've got my eyes on an early 80's model btw

My '79 'Ray is not at all 'scratchy' like I find the current 3 band eq models. Having the controls flat the sound is very passive like for want of a better term - although mine does have through body stringing and the chunkier bridge which likely affects the sound as well.

Edited by alanbass1

[s]Does the 2eq not do cut then? I wasn't aware it was a boost only preamp.[/s]

You learn something new everyday. Apparently it's bass boost with treble boost and cut (but with no center indent).

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/30099-2-band-eq-vs-3-band-eq.html#post473269"]Info on the MM forums[/url]

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Toasted' post='826330' date='May 3 2010, 11:49 AM']Where will you start looking for a pre-eb stingray? I've been reading a little about them and would be interested to know where to look.[/quote]

Just keep your eye out and wait. They do come up but the isue for me is that a lot of them are quite heavy - over 10lbs. My '79 'Ray is under 9lb and is truly a great instrument, but some are like boat anchors so you need to try before you buy.

Edited by alanbass1