Why become a member? ×

Fitting an active preamp, help please!!

Hey,

My new preamp has come for my bass and its been a long time since i have done anything electrical.

The bass is currently passive and looks like this:

The preamp looks like this and came with this diagram:

The thing thats throwing me is the pickups, I can't seem to determine which wire should be going where!!! help please :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='806009' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:25 PM']Are you looking to retain the mini toggles (which I presume perform some kind of coil switching/tapping function)? If so, just treat the output from those switches as the pickups outputs.[/quote]

Yeh i was planning on keeping them. think i've got that bit covered.

Now on the input jack it shows 3 bands, Ground, - Battery and Output.

The one supplied wont fit the bass so planning on keeping the one in it, but this only has connections for tip & ring. How do i go about this, just connect to the same part as the ring?

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='806013' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:29 PM']Yeh i was planning on keeping them. think i've got that bit covered.

Now on the input jack it shows 3 bands, Ground, - Battery and Output.

The one supplied wont fit the bass so planning on keeping the one in it, but this only has connections for tip & ring. How do i go about this, just connect to the same part as the ring?[/quote]

No, you need a stereo jack with tip, ring and sleeve. The spare one connects the battery earth to the rest of the earthing only when the jack is inserted (the mono plug makes the connection between ring and sleeve). You'll need to get a stereo barrel jack socket to replace the mono barrel jack socket you have currently. This is because if you connect the battery earth to the same terminal as the signal earth, the battery will be permanently on. It'll work, but you'll be replacing batteries a lot more often than you'd like.

There's a good guide to their replacement (on G&L basses) here: [url="http://www.bassesbyleo.com/jack_replacement.html"]http://www.bassesbyleo.com/jack_replacement.html[/url]

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' post='806031' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:42 PM']No, you need a stereo jack with tip, ring and sleeve. The spare one connects the battery earth to the rest of the earthing only when the jack is inserted (the mono plug makes the connection between ring and sleeve). You'll need to get a stereo barrel jack socket to replace the mono barrel jack socket you have currently. This is because if you connect the battery earth to the same terminal as the signal earth, the battery will be permanently on. It'll work, but you'll be replacing batteries a lot more often than you'd like.

There's a good guide to their replacement (on G&L basses) here: [url="http://www.bassesbyleo.com/jack_replacement.html"]http://www.bassesbyleo.com/jack_replacement.html[/url][/quote]

Ahh of course, well i'll get one of them sorted now then, but i can wire it to the current one for now just to make sure everythings working??

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='806045' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:55 PM']Ahh of course, well i'll get one of them sorted now then, but i can wire it to the current one for now just to make sure everythings working??[/quote]

Yeah, that should work as a test.