Why become a member? ×

FS: Japanese 1980's Fender Strat

For sale is my 1980's MIJ Fender Stratocaster. I think it's called a 'Contemporary' Strat.

Specs:

3 tone sunburst body.
Kahler Spyder floating trem (arm included).
Maple neck and fretboard.
Schaller straplocks installed (strap not included but attachments will be).
Custom wiring so that the 2nd tone control blends the neck pickup in to the signal, 1st tone control is now a master for all the pickups.
Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge position but I'll also be including the original pickup.
All pickup covers are ageing nicely now
Frets levelled so no wear on them.
Comes with it's original Fender hardcase.

A few knocks around the edge of the body, a mark on the headstock near the low E tuning post, and a few scratches on the back of the neck which are only cosmetic as I've never felt them when playing.

I bought this because I'd heard the reputation that the 1980's MIJ Fender Strats are as good as the USA made equivalents, and it was the only Strat I could find with a floating trem.
I think the Kahler is a lot better than the Fender made counterparts that you sometimes see on other 80's Strats, and I also assume a lot rarer as I've never seen another guitar like this one either before or after I bought it 3 years ago.

More photos can be found here.
[url="http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq209/Vaibanez89/Strat/"]http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq209/Vaibanez89/Strat/[/url]

I'm really not sure on the price so offers?
I don't want to seem cheeky asking for them, but as I said I've never seen another like this for sale so I've not a clue what to ask.

The [i]only[/i] reason I am even considering selling this is because I just never touch the trem now and I don't see the point in me having it there going to waste.
I love the neck on it (had the frets levelled so they don't have any wear).
As soon as this sells I'll probably be looking for pretty much the same guitar again with either a traditional trem or even a hardtail if I can find it.

References can be supplied if needed.

I had one very similar in white a few years back which looks to be roughly the same age. THe Kahler unit on it was great but I'm afraid I didnt get on too well with it as I dont tend to use them either and always use lots of altered tunings!

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='797958' date='Apr 6 2010, 08:02 PM']I had one very similar in white a few years back which looks to be roughly the same age. THe Kahler unit on it was great but I'm afraid I didnt get on too well with it as I dont tend to use them either and always use lots of altered tunings![/quote]

Yeah I'm the same. I've got all the springs that it'll take in the back at the minute and it's stable enough to do different tunings with little fuss, but the trem isn't usable now. That makes me think "well why not block it properly with wood?", which then makes me think well if I'm going to do that then I'm obviously not getting the use out of it that someone else might.

• 1 month later...