Why become a member? ×

creative blocks

RockfordStone

ok guys, so at the moment im suffering from major inability to be creative or even play bass properly (which resulted in a pretty shambolic gig in the week), probably due to being highly stressed out recently.

has any one else had a time when they just pick up their bass and completely forget how to play it and find it hopeless? if so got any ideas or suggestions on how to break out of the slump.

i am currently trying to go back to basics and working on some old bass exercises and playing some songs that i used to play when i first got the love for the bass, but its still not working... im contemplating putting it down and leaving it for a few days/week.

help!

It would be advisable to grab a cuppa and start noodling... I'm having trouble myself at the moment.

I have no problem writing the bass lines for Honeymoon Fresh but at the momebt I can't write my own songs... Guitar/lyrics/drums/bass -- the lot.

My problem is a lack of inspiration! If yours is too may I suggest Youtube and watching some of your fave musicans play to light the fire a bit?

Have you got the opportunity to try another bass - fretless, acoustic or even a very different model to yours, or plug in to a few effect pedals. Just fool around for a bit. Try some stuff that is not your usual genre (great current thread in Off Topic for inspiration) - I remember trying out the Country setting on a Fender G-Dec guitar amp and was amazed at the Country licks I could come up with.

Sorry if none of this is of any use.