Why become a member? ×

Learning to play with fingers rather than pick

Mzungu71

Hello all.

I've been playing for about 4 years or so now. Most of my playing has been punk or rock orientated so I've always used a pick and didn't start out using my fingers.

Has anyone got any top tips or good exercises to start playing with fingers?

Links to decent learning material would be most welcome.

Thanks

Gary

To start with it's just a matter of getting a good clean,consistent note while alternating
between your index and middle fingers(you can add a third finger if you want).Just going
up and down the open strings is a good starting point.
At a slow tempo,and on one note,go from playing crotchets for 4 bars,to quavers,to semi quavers.
Take it steady at first and aim for accuracy rather than speed.
Then try crossing strings. Try playing some major scales both ascending and descending,while
paying attention to your plucking hand.You can try the previous exercise with scales if you want.Then you
can try mixing it up with different intervals-thirds,fifths and octaves are a good place to start.

Don't try and rush things. Aim for accuracy by playing the notes cleanly,and concentrate on
finger alternation. Speed will naturally come over time.

[quote name='Doddy' post='789711' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:15 PM']To start with it's just a matter of getting a good clean,consistent note while alternating
between your index and middle fingers(you can add a third finger if you want).Just going
up and down the open strings is a good starting point.
At a slow tempo,and on one note,go from playing crotchets for 4 bars,to quavers,to semi quavers.
Take it steady at first and aim for accuracy rather than speed.
Then try crossing strings. Try playing some major scales both ascending and descending,while
paying attention to your plucking hand.You can try the previous exercise with scales if you want.Then you
can try mixing it up with different intervals-thirds,fifths and octaves are a good place to start.

Don't try and rush things. Aim for accuracy by playing the notes cleanly,and concentrate on
finger alternation. Speed will naturally come over time.[/quote]

Sounds simple doesn't it? :)

My main problem area is swapping strings so the major scale exercise should be a big help.

Thanks for the reply

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789742' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:41 PM']I started by just going cold turkey and dropping using a pick entirely, until I'd gotten the hang of fingerstyle. Now I can swap back and forth quite happily although I still need more practice :)[/quote]

I may end up doing that, but only in personal practice cos it would annoy my bands while I made the transition :rolleyes: