Why become a member? ×

Play along books and similar publications.

Marvin

If it's a dumb question, please feel free to 'hit' me. However, do the play-along books that are available or sheet music for songs or tracks you already have (i.e the intention then to play along to them) of any use or value in assisting a player learning to read music?

Is 'playing along' to a track wrong? Should you read and play the piece in isolation?

Hi Marvin
I think the best advice is to do both. First read the part slowly in your own time, checking all the details as you go, go over any tricky bits a few times, trying different fingerings till you can settle on something. And then, when you think you have it all under control, play along with the track, checking your timing and feel.

There is nothing wrong with play-alongs as long as you bear in mind that the players on the track can't hear you (obviously!!) and that
therefore you can't interact with them (again, obviously!). Music performance is about the communal interaction of the players so there is always this element missing with play-alongs.

The Major

If it's got notes in it,it's worth looking at if you are learning to read.

I would use the book without playing along at first,so that you are just reading the charts-
if you are playing along straight away it is easy to gloss over any mistakes.

By all means play along with the track after you have got it down. Alternatively,if you feel
confident on a piece,you could try to sight read it with the track. If you make a mistake
you can always stop to figure it out.

The only problem with the majority of bass transcription books is that they nearly all have
tab in them,which may be a problem if you are learning to read as it may be tempting to
have a glance.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='789172' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:30 AM']would you not be better off using Guitar pro which allows you to hide the tab and just look at notation. I think my version cost 30 quid[/quote]

Personally,I'd rather practice away from my computer and have a book
on a stand. It's easier and quicker to turn the page than to scroll down
or whatever(unless you have one of those PDF page turning footswitch thingies).
I also find that my eyes become tired quicker when I'm staring at a
computer than they do when looking at a book.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='789172' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:30 AM']would you not be better off using Guitar pro which allows you to hide the tab and just look at notation. I think my version cost 30 quid[/quote]

I'd never really thought of that, as I am not at all familiar with Guitar Pro.
Like Doddy though I prefer to practice away from the computer, in part due to where it is. Or can you print notation off from Guitar Pro? As I said I don't know anything about this software.

Edited by Marvin

Definatley helps. I've got Standing in the Shadows of Motown: James Jamerson and its hard going. The pieces aren't difficult to play but I can't sight read very well. I have to slow things down and read the notes with out music/metronome then go back to the song, but eventually I know I will get there.

It has put all the scales and chords theory into context and wish I started on reading music ten years ago instead of spending endless hours on theory books that don't show the practical application. It has also helped my fretboard knowledge to the point where I hardly ever shift position (James Jamerson style!!!)

It is hard to find standard notation, especially for music I like (Prog Rock) but I found looking through the classical sections of music stores for Cello music helps. I've recently completed some Bach sheet music.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789539' date='Mar 29 2010, 03:56 PM']I'm of the 'working it out by ear' variety. Nothing wrong with using books, and I do occasionally, but I find it's better to try and work it out myself and get a feel for it, only looking at a book if I'm really stuck.[/quote]

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789541' date='Mar 29 2010, 03:57 PM']Ok.. I'm being an eejit and thought you meant learning the songs.. feel free to ignore me :)[/quote]

My 'ear' isn't very good. I'm sort of trying to learn some theory and to read music in order to improve my overall playing, which is quite weak TBH. Learning a few songs along the way would be a nice bonus though, and it may improve my ear.

Besides Karnivool fans aren't eejits :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789539' date='Mar 29 2010, 03:56 PM']I'm of the 'working it out by ear' variety. Nothing wrong with using books, and I do occasionally, but I find it's better to try and work it out myself and get a feel for it, only looking at a book if I'm really stuck.[/quote]
Hi Sarah5string
One of the problems with the "working it out by ear" method is that you don't get to learn much about how that part was put together in the first place ie the underlying chord sequence or rhythm groove that the original bass player was presented with.

Don't get me wrong - I spent hours playing along to my favourite records (vinyl !!) when I was young. But it was only by getting hold of the sheet music that the theory behind the songs started to make sense. If you are happy just copying what others have already done - well that's fine - but if you have an enquiring mind and a desire to be creative, you need a little more in-depth knowledge.
And yes - you can work stuff out for yourself - but it takes a great deal longer.

The Major