Why become a member? ×

Best place to get a bass set up/electrics check in Kent?

theosd

There was a thread with a very similar subject the other day, which of course I can't find now :)
Anyways, several people recommended Manny at Sound and Image (you know, the music shop opposite Argos in Chatham?) Can't comment myself, becasue my basses are only cheapy ebay specials and I set them up :rolleyes:

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='787879' date='Mar 27 2010, 02:23 PM']There was a thread with a very similar subject the other day, which of course I can't find now :)
Anyways, several people recommended Manny at Sound and Image (you know, the music shop opposite Argos in Chatham?) Can't comment myself, becasue my basses are only cheapy ebay specials and I set them up :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have experience of him. He once bet his house the dead E string I bought from him (and the E in 4 subsequent packets) was because of my bass nut. He was wrong and had just ordered a dodgy batch of Rotosounds. I never got his house but, yeah... maybe I'll avoid going there if I can help it! They sell crappy instruments too.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='787974' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:26 PM']Just popped down to see him, the man is a legend.

I see you're in Gillingham, I'm playing there tonight.[/quote]

Actually Chatham now; what band you in and where you playing?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='787999' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:55 PM']I'm in The Plan, playing at Beacon tonight, I think it's a sell out :)[/quote]

Think I've heard of you actually.

Ah good luck - very easy to get handed a poor sound in there by the sub-standard soundmen they hire, very boomy all around normally. Hopefully as you're playing on a Saturday you might get a good one. Heaven knows their in-house PA doesn't help matters!

Get a good crowd though and it can be a really fun gig - and not many venues where you get to feel all special in the band dressing room!

All the best.

[quote name='theosd' post='788005' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:59 PM']Think I've heard of you actually.

Ah good luck - very easy to get handed a poor sound in there by the sub-standard soundmen they hire, very boomy all around normally. Hopefully as you're playing on a Saturday you might get a good one. Heaven knows their in-house PA doesn't help matters!

Get a good crowd though and it can be a really fun gig - and not many venues where you get to feel all special in the band dressing room!

All the best.[/quote]

You're not kidding we had a soundman fall asleep during a gig there once.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='788008' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:03 PM']You're not kidding we had a soundman fall asleep during a gig there once.[/quote]

We've had some right stinkers! I think they employ whoever is willing to be paid the least! Better off bringing your own gear, at least you have control over it. They might take that as a bit of an affront, but who cares when the landlord has been heard talking about how he only puts on music for the profit to be made on the doors.

Soulless much?

[quote name='theosd' post='788031' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:18 PM']We've had some right stinkers! I think they employ whoever is willing to be paid the least! Better off bringing your own gear, at least you have control over it. They might take that as a bit of an affront, but who cares when the landlord has been heard talking about how he only puts on music for the profit to be made on the doors.

Soulless much?[/quote]

I've found the landlord to be alright but the guy on the door is an utter prick.

[quote name='JTUK' post='788164' date='Mar 27 2010, 07:58 PM']Wow..Beacon sounds like it has changed...[/quote]

Yeah it's no longer the biker's pub/top music venue it was. Never felt the same since the refurb and installation of the new (crap) in-house! It's a shame because Medway is sorely lacking decent venues... actually it's severely lacking a music scene of any kind! :)

The Anchor? Never played there. In terms of originals acts there's nothing but in my covers band (The Bodegas - who're playing at the poacher's pocket on walderslade road, chatham, for a Help For Feroes gig at 3pm today) we're finding there's still a lot of decent venues, you just gotta give them a good show. Competition on the covers circuit is fierce right now due to the drop in venues and venues dropping live music (usually as a direct result of their mismanagement/lack of adequate promotion).

[quote name='theosd' post='788338' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:01 AM']The Anchor? Never played there. In terms of originals acts there's nothing but in my covers band (The Bodegas - who're playing at the poacher's pocket on walderslade road, chatham, for a Help For Feroes gig at 3pm today) we're finding there's still a lot of decent venues, you just gotta give them a good show. Competition on the covers circuit is fierce right now due to the drop in venues and venues dropping live music (usually as a direct result of their mismanagement/lack of adequate promotion).[/quote]

We are East Kent and I find more venues willing to do stuff...but they don't have much of a built-in following as they are too new, so rely on bands to bring in enough people which is obviously the whole idea.
I haven't had to search out gigs for ages...that was always someone elses deal, but all my old faves seemed to have fallen by the wayside.
As I said, I didn't take much notice but now I am more so.

And I can understand venues wanting CD's and websites as there is a lot of competition. I don't think the money has changed much at pub level for 15-20 yrs...but that is maybe because there are so many bands chasing gigs..

I don't mind doing a one-off deal to get into a decent place but it is very hard work promoting every gig...and stressful.
I couldn't and wouldn't want to do it everytime.

Just as well that we aren't that fussed about the money then..... :) except the drummers who think they have the most expenses...?????????? :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess it all comes down to supply and demand nowadays - there's plenty of people willing to supply a band (seems anyone can pull one together nowadays) but I just consider myself lucky that I'm in a fun band that's still in high demand. Who do you play for?

Currently the The Crossfire who are quite new.

[url="http://thecrossfire.net"]http://thecrossfire.net[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/thecrossfirex"]http://www.myspace.com/thecrossfirex[/url]

Done the Chillbillies for years but no longer with them and Deep South way back when. The Rodneys as well, but in the last few years that has been whoever is available so not so good... We did the Beacon with them years ago when I remember it as a great venue, AIRC

Don't crossover into Medway too much these days, there seems to be
a dividing line :) I do like in and around Faversham... plenty of guys doing stuff, these days

[quote name='JTUK' post='788357' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:29 AM']Currently the The Crossfire who are quite new.

[url="http://thecrossfire.net"]http://thecrossfire.net[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/thecrossfirex"]http://www.myspace.com/thecrossfirex[/url]

Done the Chillbillies for years but no longer with them and Deep South way back when. The Rodneys as well, but in the last few years that has been whoever is available so not so good... We did the Beacon with them years ago when I remember it as a great venue, AIRC

Don't crossover into Medway too much these days, there seems to be
a dividing line :) I do like in and around Faversham... plenty of guys doing stuff, these days[/quote]

Yeah we hardly play in Medway despite being based here! There just aren't the venues. Everyone would rather coop themselves up in the Crap 'n' Bin every night.

[quote name='theosd' post='788359' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:35 AM']Everyone would rather coop themselves up in the Crap 'n' Bin every night.[/quote]

We entered their BOTB last year. On the night we played, one of the three bands didn't show, and neither did the audience. We played our set to the other band, and vicey versey. We were declared the winners, because some of our singers family turned up :-) Never saw the '£1000' prize money though........