Why become a member? ×

Electro Hamonix Bass Micro Synth sample settings page

cm261

This is a cool .pdf file, with 16 different sample settings for the BMS, posted by Bill Ruppert over at TalkBass. Am reposting it here for those of you that don't frequent there, as it would be a shame for anyone to miss out on these, they look like a whole heap of fun, can't wait to get trying them out.

Link:
[url="http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructio...-templates.pdf"]http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructio...-templates.pdf[/url]

I've downloaded the file and printed it off, I would suggest that that's a good idea.

Also included is a page where you can note down your personal settings that you've found, also very handy. (Feel free to post your own settings as well [please!])

Enjoy.

Very true. I think some of the best sounds that can come out of the BMS appear when you use it with other pedals though. I was having a fiddle with mine the other day and had it sounding pretty tasty, then I put it through my Bass Big Muff and Oh. My. God. The noise was insane, epic sound, almost ring mod-ish, but at the same time really not, I played with it for ages, and came up with a few riffs inspired entirely by this new found tone (which sounded like the weapon of choice for shattering bullet-proof glass), amazing musical tool, and relatively cheap for the endless possibilities that can be achieved by using it. And I havn't even got round to going through these new settings yet.

[quote name='cm261' post='787506' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:29 PM']Not got the luxury of trying to be honest mate, I'd imagine that it sounds interesting though, even though I've always dismissed the bassballs as a weak and relatively pointless filter, maybe I'm wrong?[/quote]

I literally only ever turn mine on because I've turned my BMS on, but yeah if you give it a complex enough signal it can burp and snarl in really gnarly ways. People tend to use it as a 'typical' envelope filter and it doesn't really do that very well, but it's a good filter.

i will buy a BMS soon... :rolleyes:

pedals can be confusing. :)

i have an ehx q-tron which sounds rubbish 99% of the time, but occasionally with the right fuzz/amp gain sounds lovely. (i have no explanation, it's like magic).

my latest acquisition is a 3 leaf audio groove regulator. now this is awesome compared to the q-tron when it comes to my bass (MM sterling). it just has much more variety of sounds available. i've tried fuzz before, in the loop, and after, and each have their own unique sonic charms.

i'm after a decent octaver next, and after that a BMS is on the list...

thisnameistaken - you seem to know these pedals well. which ones are the best (in terms of user/gig friendliness)?

advice appreciated.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='788804' date='Mar 28 2010, 07:58 PM']thisnameistaken - you seem to know these pedals well. which ones are the best (in terms of user/gig friendliness)?[/quote]

Not sure I understood your question. You mean filters?

Asking a bassist what's the best filter is like asking a guitarist what's the best overdrive. You'll probably get half a dozen different answers from each player.

TBH I think for the money the Q-Tron is a brilliant funk filter. I don't really do any funk stuff though so I swapped it out for some different filters that offered more variety. I like the sound and versatility of filters based on the Meatball circuit and my Meatwad reacts very well to my playing (I prefer it to any other filter I've played but to be honest it's quite similar in behaviour to the Q-Tron), I also like the uniqueness of the filter in the Bass Micro Synth and I think it does a brilliant job of faking synth sounds. I also like the tonnes of options I've got on the filter in my Octavius Squeezer and it sounds great with the the other effects in that box. And as I said I like the Bassballs when applied to a layered sound where it can really chew it up and spit it out. I also like the sound of the Moog filter but I haven't owned one. And like everybody else I'd love an original Mu-Tron III, although in truth I'd rarely find a use for it.

There aren't that many filters I've played that I really hated, to be honest. I don't get on with the DOD FX25s, mostly because the envelope seems very abrupt and difficult to play to me. And I didn't like the MXR Bass Auto Q because I found the secondary LFO-based effect useless and the envelope filter section didn't have much in the way of options. But in terms of sound I didn't majorly dislike either of them.

If you were asking about octavers: OC-2. Everybody loves the sound of the OC-2.

There, that one has a simple answer! :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

+1 re Bass Balls and BMS, especially for old metal ones.
+1 re BMS thru Bass Balls and for BMS thru other effects.

I actually think the Bass Balls is a highly under-rated and extremely useful pedal. It's subtle and that's the point of it.
If you want an out and out funk filter I agree the Mini QTron (old metal) is great and can get right up in your face. That's why I kept my Bass Balls beside it, to offer a gentler option and two guite different flavours.

Then I replaced the EHX filters with a Groove Regulator too! And I run fuzz thru the loop and before the GR too!! What a great and versatile filter it is; but guess what.....that Bass Balls has crept back on my board. Like I said, what an under-rated effect it is.

As for octavers, asbo-freakin-lootly.....especially with all that fuzz and filtering. I got the new MXR BOD and it works so well with the GR, the Bass Balls and the fuzz or just on its own. I've heard alot of people say how the OC-2 can be a bit glitchy in its tracking, but does have great tone and growl. Many people say the BOD captures all the OC2 tones and fixes tracking and adds other improvements. I am certainly very happy with the MXR as a juicy and clear toned and affordable Octave that blends well with other effects. I've even tried running my BMS thru the BOD; but when tiles started falling off the roof, i thought better of using that combo too often.