Why become a member? ×

Rack case ventilation

essexbasscat

Hi all

Apologies if this one's been done before folks. Did a search, but the comments that came up seemed to be incidental to other topics, so here goes.

What are the general guidlines on ventilation ? I've noticed people commenting on how they have cut holes in their cases, fitted grills, left gaps etc.

When do you need to leave gaps for ventilation ? when do you need to create holes for ventilation ?

Is it more important to leave holes for valve amps ? Do solid state amps need extra ventilation holes ?

I'm just really curious about the hole :) thing really. What's the general opinion ?

The reason why I ask is, since joining B.C last year, I have succumbed to GAS (I know, I read the warnings). The current situation is:

I'm looking to load up my very first 4u aluminium rack case and I'm concerned about having adequate ventilation for a Markbass Sa450 and an Ampeg B2RE, both of which take up 2u each.

The Markbass has fan and ventilation openings on each side of the amp, at the back. The Ampeg has a fan and vent openings all at the back. The Ampeg has been mounted in the bottom of the rack, being the heavier of the two by far.
To mount the Markbass in on top, I'll have to detach the rubber feet from the bottom of the amp for the mounting holes to line up.

I'm not keen on the amps being that close together without some padding between the two. In order to create some protection padding between the two amps, I intend to fix some felt grommets that usually glue to the bottom of chair legs (to prevent wood/floor contact ). Hopefully, that will prevent the two amps clashing in transit and minimise the leverage on the mounting lugs at the front.

On the ventilation topic, is the gap down the sides of the Sa450 that is created by the dimensions of the rack ears sufficient for efficient ventilation, bearing in mind the airflow turns through 90 degrees, or would it be better to add holes and / or vent grills on the sides of the rack case to allow a more direct airflow ?

BY the way. I'll only be running one amp at a time. The rig will be running through 2 GS 1x12's.

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts please

thanks all. B.C. is a great place

Cheers

T

:rolleyes:

Edited by essexbasscat

I'd avoid any padding between the two, I'd clamp them both together tightly - less chance of either moving.

If one runs significantly hotter, I'd stick that above the other, and if it's still uncomfortably hot then I'd put in a 1U grille above that.

(I do anyway, as the GK 1001RB has a top-mounted fan).

Does the unit you're going to mount have ventilation on the top or bottom?

If not, you don't need to leave a gap in your rack case for it. Most rackable gear ventilates front to back because if it didn't it would be 'king stupid.

Edit: The Ampeg will be fine. The Markbass head isn't a full rack width so, again, it should be fine with the vents on the sides. Leaving a gap above or below wouldn't help anyway - there's no ventilation there.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Cheers guys, mucho appreciated.

how would you clamp them together without damaging the casing on either amp ?

I'd still like to know more about the whole ventilation issue, as I havn't come across a consensus of opinion on the topic yet

thanks agian

T

:)

Sorry - I simply meant mounted butted together rather than using any additional fixings

Ventilation - just don't obstruct any fans or vents...

You need to put it all together to try it - If something gets too hot, then give it some more air /space
Mine has only ever approcahed being hot playing at ludicrous levels outside...