Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1978 USA ** SOLD**

peteb

[attachment=45405:100_0830.JPG]Had this bass for ever and will be sorry to see it go but the truth is that I just don’t play it any more (gigged just once in the past 12 years or so) and I could do with something that I will actually play and I haven’t got the cash at the moment due to various reasons so I’m gonna have to let it go!

I’ve had this bass since about 1985. I believe that it’s a ’78 (serial number S757862). I originally got it as a spare for a ’77 Precision, but when I started playing active basses I kept this one as it was a bit lighter.

It’s got an EMG but I’m including the original Fender pick-up and it comes in a molded Fender case. It has the original bridge & hardware, complete with ashtray covers (both p/up & bridge). It plays and sounds like a good 70s Precision should – in fact far better than most! It has been worked on and set up by a top local guy (who has worked on guitars belonging to John Sykes & Scott Gorham from Thin Lizzy among others) and then set up again by the Bass Centre a few years ago.

It was originally what people here call Olympic white, which I was never too keen on. After seeing a Paul Rodgers gig, I decided to copy his bass player and striped it down to the wood, got someone to give it a light coat of lacquer & put a tort pickguard on. I thought it looked pretty cool, but obviously if I had known how much they were going be worth years later I would have left well alone!!

I don’t know what it is really worth as you don’t see many similar basses come up for sale. I’m asking for £850 but open to sensible offers by PM. No daft offers please – I’m only selling to fund another bass so I won’t let it go for silly money. I may be interested in potential trades, especially for a decent 4 string Stingray or possibly a good active Jazz type bass.

Please bear in mind that some people have been asking for nearly twice that amount for US Fender ‘P’s of this vintage and thru this is by no means mint it has the genuine sound & feel of a American 70s Fender without paying a premium for the original paint job!!

Cheers – Pete

Edited by peteb