Why become a member? ×

Help needed with Ashdown Electric Blue!!!

40hz

The 250v fuse that is actually in the connection on the amp keeps blowing. I put a new one in, it blows as soon as i turn the amp on, having gone through 3 fuses now, what does anyone think this could be???? i need to sort pronto!! :)
Many thanks guys

It originally blew at the practice rooms, i replaced the fuse and tried it at home and it did the same thing. Do you think it could be the actual power cable itself maybe??
Cheers :)

[quote name='Protium' post='782571' date='Mar 22 2010, 04:48 PM']Could be a power supply problem, but just to clarify are you replacing the fuse underneath where the power cable connects into the amp? If so are you using the correct time-delay fuse?[/quote]

Yes it is where the cable connects to the amp. I swapped the fuse that had blown for a identical replacement (T2AL 250V)
5 years of flawless service from the amp and this is the first thing to ever go wrong with it!

[quote name='40hz' post='783315' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:41 PM']Ashdown replied to me stating it sounds like a dodgy transformer so you guys were right on the money! any idea what i would be looking at cost wise to repair? :)[/quote]

I really wouldn't know sorry, your best bet is to ask Ashdown again though they probably won't be able to quote you without knowing the exact problem.

[quote name='Protium' post='783696' date='Mar 23 2010, 05:15 PM']I really wouldn't know sorry, your best bet is to ask Ashdown again though they probably won't be able to quote you without knowing the exact problem.[/quote]

In all probability it is the power transformer itself. I had to replace one on a Mag 400 (with identical symptoms - although it is not impossible that the troubles may run a little deeper than just the trafo...)

The transformer itself was about £80 from Ashdown, and is easy to fit if you know your onions - if not, definately ship the Amp to Ashdown or to a good Amp tech (in which case there will be shipping and labour involved....)

You might be able to ship just the amp chassis by itself (for the sake of pulling four bolts), which should save a few pennies - but talk to Ashdown, their tech support is responsive and very helpful.

Thanks for the input guys, very helpful and appreciated. I will email ashdown about sending it back to be replaced. I've already seperated the head from the chassis, hopefully that should bring postage costs down a bit. The electric blue is such a good little combo i cant bear to part with it!!
Thanks again people.