Why become a member? ×

Two TC cabs vertically stacked

Reissueplayer

I've just bought a TC Staccato and I'm considering their cabs as well. I've seen the cabs stacked vertically and I really like the idea of combining easy transportation, flexibility in placement and the thought of getting both ground contact as well as definition from something closer to the ears.

Is there anyone on the forum that has tried and experienced this? What is the sound dispersion like? How do they compare to a 4x10 cab on the ground? Should I go for two RS210s or combine an RS212 with the RS210?

[quote name='Reissueplayer' post='780438' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:23 AM']I've just bought a TC Staccato and I'm considering their cabs as well. I've seen the cabs stacked vertically and I really like the idea of combining easy transportation, flexibility in placement and the thought of getting both ground contact as well as definition from something closer to the ears.

Is there anyone on the forum that has tried and experienced this? What is the sound dispersion like? How do they compare to a 4x10 cab on the ground? Should I go for two RS210s or combine an RS212 with the RS210?[/quote]
Two RS210s will be subjectively far closer to an 8x10 than a 4x10, only it will have twice the midrange dispersion angle of either. Mixing a 212 and 210 will offer little benefit, if a ten doesn't go low enough for you it will take at the least fifteens, if not eighteens, to make a substantial difference. OTOH twelves vertically aligned have far better midrange than tens horizontally placed, so if you need the power of an 8x10 on occasion get a pair of 212, leave one at home when you don't need that much.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Reissueplayer' post='780438' date='Mar 20 2010, 06:23 AM']I've just bought a TC Staccato and I'm considering their cabs as well. I've seen the cabs stacked vertically and I really like the idea of combining easy transportation, flexibility in placement and the thought of getting both ground contact as well as definition from something closer to the ears.

Is there anyone on the forum that has tried and experienced this? What is the sound dispersion like? How do they compare to a 4x10 cab on the ground? Should I go for two RS210s or combine an RS212 with the RS210?[/quote]

The main advantage is the 'height' of the sound for me. Its ear height, and you can have the horn set as you like at ear-ish level. That means you can hear yourself much better than a 4x10 sat on the ground.

The advantage of two 2x10s is taking one for smaller gigs, stacking two, or placing side by side vertically/on top of each other horizontally.

Lots of choices.

My opinion on the RS212 front?

I followed the Tbass thread, messaged a few players, and they all said the RS212+210 just 'works'. I asked Tom Bowlus and he mentioned that was his preferred setup out of the RS210x2 VS RS210+212.

But, the RS210 will get low and punch like crazy. I just love the chewy mid range and little extra 'ummph' from the 12s....(its definitely there, the cab feels much 'fuller and louder'...but the RS210s are brilliant as well).

You cant go wrong, esp at the price point. I think if TC were a US company we would be looking at a lot higher price once they were imported over here.