Why become a member? ×

MTD Kingston/american

davebass66

Hey guys..

I was just wondering if anyone on here owns or has played both an MTD Kingston and one of the handmade USA ones?
A friend of mine has recently bought a USA one and said its amazing! IS there a huge difference between that and the Kingston series sound and quality wise?

Also if anyone has one for sale let me know, as you might have seen o currently have my GB Spitfire 5 string up on the for sale page....

Dave

I tried both (but not for long)... Kingston is great for the money, i played a 6 string with beautiful top... bass was light, neck is quite big, well balanced and sounding powerful...
Frets are a bit too big to my taste, and overall playability is good but not exeptionnal...
Soundwise it's good for the money, but don't expect it to be a lifetime bass (lack of personnality and tone)...

The US one are WAY better, much more like a Fodera NYC or Roscoe or Sad's... I personnaly don't dig the MTD tone but have to reckon it's very professional in every way : great to play and to record with, good B and even sounding from top to bottom, even if i think i get a more "personal" tone with my Fodera...

Better a Kingston than a "mid 7ender", but if u can go for a US, you'll keep her longer ^^

I'm getting 40 years old this year and play since i was 13. I GASSED my ass of from vintage to high tech throughout the years.. Owned about 70 basses in my search for a 'better' instrument. Owned jaydee's, statti, alembics, pre-gibson Tobias basses, name it and i played it. My search ended in a way when i found an amazing sounding american MTD with a wenge neck. Because this particular early MTD didnt have a fancy top, i wanted and finally bought one with a maple neck and rosewood board. It sounded less harsh and more even balanced.
Great ! Better than my Marleaux' and better than my pre-gibson tobiasses but not as good and mid-aggresive as the simple one with the wenge neck.. I owned a Kingston as well once, it stayed with me for 2 weeks. Not bad but not amazing enough to satisfy my hunger.
For me, a wenge necked MTD is the best bass there is on the planet. The Growl, the massive low B, its beyond anything else.
No matter how big a stage or how many guitarists, i hear every note i play, i feel it in my whole body.
I learned that no matter which instrument you have and how good it sounds, you only know how good it realy is when the band starts playing. Then you'll hear if your sound is still there.. or not anymore, or your B string has dissapeared,
or strange things start happening with your sound.
I went to a music store last year, looked around, nothing special.. Had nothing to do so put a Fender Jazz on my leg and surprisingly fell in love (for the 10th time or so) with that good old Fender sound i had in the circumstances. Location, amp, isolation of the shop, this all really matters. I bought it and during the first song on the rehearsal later on the day. It didnt survive the first minute. Thats when i realised (again) why i always sell them..