Why become a member? ×

Anyone play a P-MM bass?

Metalmoore

As you can see in my sig i have a jazz bass but also have a PJ ebay bass (which i think to be a ibanez copy very similar to [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616181"]THIS[/url]).

Lately i was thinking of striping it and painting it black, filling the pup cavities with epoxy and routing a P and MM routes as the current ones seem a bit sqwint , buying all new hardware and electronics as it feels PERFECT and was my first bass. Only thing is i dont like the jazz sound from it and always fancied a MM and i feel as if i have neglected it since i built my jazz (really did love it, was only 60 quid with ****y amp, case and strap from eBay). It probably is some bad wood like MDF or plywood but if it feels and sounds right then i cant complain.

Sooooooo does anyone play a P-MM bass? How does it sound? Can you get the signature MM sound and the signature P sound from it? How does it sound when both are on full volume?

Any help will do as this may be my next build seeing as my thunderbird project seems to have stopped until i can find someone who can build me a custom body.

This can do the P sound, but not the signature MM because the pickup is really close to the bridge. I stuck it there to get a nice tight mid sound which works well :)

I think the typical MM position is almost right up against the P pickup. On your example, extending the jazz route towards the P position you should get pretty close. Edited by Protium

[quote name='Protium' post='774326' date='Mar 14 2010, 02:42 PM']This can do the P sound, but not the signature MM because it the pickup is really close to the bridge. I stuck it there to get a nice tight mid sound which works well :)

I think the typical MM position is almost right up against the P pickup. On your example, extending the jazz route towards the P position you should get pretty close.[/quote]

i have a P/MM and like protium said, it does the Precision sound great, but the musicman pickup is too far back to get the real musicman sound, i also get a really tight mid sound which i really like.

i never play with both pickups on though, so i can't comment on what it sounds like really, just that i personally prefer one pickup or another.

Edited by Tait

I saw an interesting piece once which showed the P pickup position in its signature place and same with the MM pickup overlaid on one bass. unfortunately they overlap slightly, Meaning it would be impossible to get them both in their "sweet spots" on the same bass.

I'm not sure i believe the tone would be hugely different a few cm either way though - having said that, ive never heard anything other than a musicman sound like a musicman...

I have an OLP with an added P pickup, as mentioned the pickups in the traditional position overlap slightly so the P is a few MM closer to the neck than normal on mine but it sounds like a P. It's a fantastic combo and I would recommend it highly. Mixed sounds great too.

If you took the covers off and maybe did a bit of bobbin shaving you can get the exact traditional placement though you wouldn't hear the difference.
[attachment=44818:5.jpg]

the two sweet spots might overlap, but IMO the precision pickup sounds better if the EA pickup remains where it is, and the DG moves the other side of it, so its closer to the neck. if you're really looking for that musicman sweet spot with a P pickup, thats the way to go i'd say.

oh, and Vibrating G String, nice OLP!

[quote name='Tait' post='775437' date='Mar 15 2010, 05:29 PM']the two sweet spots might overlap, but IMO the precision pickup sounds better if the EA pickup remains where it is, and the DG moves the other side of it, so its closer to the neck. if you're really looking for that musicman sweet spot with a P pickup, thats the way to go i'd say.

oh, and Vibrating G String, nice OLP![/quote]
Just like my current project then. :brow:

I've gone to great lengths to get the pups as authentically place as possible. Obviously it can't be done with the overlap so the next best thing is the DG shift as per the Sandberg PM range (although Sandberg use their own spacings). The pups I'm using are a genuine MM Stingray pup and a Delano P (also used by Sandberg). The above pic is an early mock-up so has a standard P pup - also doesn't include the addition of a SD STC-2 preamp which has 3 pots with a stacked control set.

actual shot from my build diary...

Edited by Ou7shined