Why become a member? ×

New Tune - first with MIDI bass playing on... opinions please

urb

Hey Chaps

Just wanted to get a few opinions on both the drums and MIDI bits on this track - I used Superior Drummer 2 and I think it sounds good - the MIDI stuff starts in the middle - it's the keyboard solo and then the melody bits at the end... let me know what you think! :)

F Why I - MP3

[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=136122"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=136122[/url]

Thanks as ever

Mike

EDIT I just re-uploaded a new version of this tune

[quote name='urb' post='773094' date='Mar 12 2010, 07:44 PM']Hey Chaps

Just wanted to get a few opinions on both the drums and MIDI bits on this track - I used Superior Drummer 2 and I think it sounds good - the MIDI stuff starts in the middle - it's the keyboard solo and then the melody bits at the end... let me know what you think! :)

Eff Why I - MP3

[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=136069"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=136069[/url]

Thanks as ever

Mike[/quote]

The player doesn't seem to want to work for me. Any ideas mate?

[quote name='silddx' post='773109' date='Mar 12 2010, 07:57 PM']The player doesn't seem to want to work for me. Any ideas mate?[/quote]

Hey man - make sure you have Quicktime installed - sorry to use this site it's just an easy way to upload single files.

Let me know what you reckon

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='773125' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:16 PM']Hey man - make sure you have Quicktime installed - sorry to use this site it's just an easy way to upload single files.

Let me know what you reckon

Mike[/quote]
Weird, I have QT, maybe I'm a version out. I'll sort it out.

Cheers Mike.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='773137' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:28 PM']Just realised who you are, Mike. Hope you value my opinion.[/quote]

Hey Pete

no worries at all - and yes I do value your opinion a great deal - this track is a work in progress so I welcome any constructive criticism, so thanks for having a listen

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='plumbob' post='773165' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:08 PM']I quite like those keys at the end.

So could you explain in layman terms exactly what you have going on here ?

Are the sounds from the Logic Pro vst instruments[/quote]

Basically I used Logic to record this, using Superior Drummer (which is a seperate VST drum module that runs within Logic) the keyboard bits at the end were played on my Sei single cut which now has a MIDI pickup in it- so I can play all sorts of VSTs better than I can on an actual keyboard... thanks for checking this out.

M

Hello Mike,

OK, I really like the drums, I REALLY like the autowah type bass groove at the beginning and the end, keys sound good too. I'm afraid the trad sound bass soloing in the middle doesn't do it for me. It sounds like it's right on the edge of your ability which makes it uncomfortable to listen to, if the track was slower it would allow you room for the expression which I think you were trying to get into it, but that's not the point of the tune.

It's the drums and the autowah bass I like best, that seriously rocks and it's inspiring to listen to.

Good stuff!

[quote name='silddx' post='773670' date='Mar 13 2010, 03:56 PM']Hello Mike,

OK, I really like the drums, I REALLY like the autowah type bass groove at the beginning and the end, keys sound good too. I'm afraid the trad sound bass soloing in the middle doesn't do it for me. It sounds like it's right on the edge of your ability which makes it uncomfortable to listen to, if the track was slower it would allow you room for the expression which I think you were trying to get into it, but that's not the point of the tune.

It's the drums and the autowah bass I like best, that seriously rocks and it's inspiring to listen to.

Good stuff![/quote]

Cool Nige - thanks for your thoughts - the funny thing is this track started as a Youtube video... see below - and yes I kind of agree with you about the solo - I'm least keen on that actually and may well replace it with a sax solo, I have a mate who's a top sax player - but people seem to like the vid but not the solo on the track - weird how listening and watching to same thing get different reactions...

Thanks again for checking it out

Mike

[quote name='jmesa' post='773711' date='Mar 13 2010, 04:49 PM']Mike is such a sick player. Wish I could play even half as good as that!
Good on ya, mate[/quote]

Thanks man - I appreciate the positive words - but the thing with the MIDI stuff just let's me add melodic things like chords and lead lines that I simply can't do with bass alone - it's realy exciting fir me and I have a whole bunch of new tunes that I can't wait to 'release' soon, not long now!

Cheers

Mike