Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California PM4

kets

I recently took delivery of my first Sandberg, a California PM4 and mentioned that I would do a review, as there doesn't seem to be any already, despite the number of Sandberg users. It's my first review, so be gentle with me!

Firstly, I should make it clear that I bought this bass unseen, purely on the hype and other's opinions. I wasn't disappointed.

Construction-10/10

This bass is built to last! It's far heavier than I expected (I think it's Alder), but not a back-breaker. The payoff, of course is a beefy tone. Also when you plug it in, you feel it in the almost endless sustain-Puts some neck through basses to shame! It has bolt on neck, secured by six recessed screws and a precision shaped body with a flawless paint finish and quality plated hardware. The tuners work smoothly and the bridge, IMO, is a work of art. The strings are secured at the bridge and it's fully adjustable for intonation, action and each string can be adjusted individually for spacing. The neck has a lovely, smooth, oiled feel to it, which I like. Incidentally the neck isn't as narrow as a Jazz, but not as wide as a precision. Feels great to me, although I do have fairly small hands. The fretwork, again is very well done with no sharp edges or flat spots, and includes a zero fret. The nut slots could be neater, but this wasn't a brand new bass, so that could be the previous owner making adjustments for heavier strings. Pots feel smooth and pickups are solidly mounted.

Electronics-8/10

This model is the PM, so it has a Precision style pickup at the neck and a musicman style humbucker at the bridge. Controls are: volume, pan, treble cut/boost and bass cut/boost. Pulling the volume up also puts the bass into passive mode. That brings me to a gripe. The battery box is a bit fiddly and has a flimsy feeling door action. The Delano pickups however, are superb. The precision pickup on it's own sounds huge. The back pickup, soloed with a touch of bass added, sounds very, very funky, almost compressed in it's tightness. Both together is also pretty punchy. It's a quite clean and modern sounding, not like a Jazz, but has a huge range of tones available. Suits all playing styles.

Overall-9/10

I love this bass. For me it does everything, feels great and sounds superb. It has neat touches like the strap buttons, which are schaller strap lock compatible, the fully adjustable bridge, the cool headstock and Sandbergs "4-dotted square" symbol. I have to admit the lack of position dots on the front of the fretboard takes some getting used to, but it does have them on the side. There's also a bit of neck dive in the sitting position, this is probably down to the Fender styling.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

[quote name='josh3184' post='769761' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:23 PM']great review, thanks man :) any pictures?[/quote]

Thanks!

I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I intend to take some and add it to the review. Mines in sea foam green with white pickguard and rosewood fretboard. Really sticks out!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit late for commenting on this but I totally agree with kets.

Sandbergs are awesome basses and the one I have (California Jazz copy) is not only the best looking bas I have played but also has the loveliest neck I have ever played.

Only downside (kets mentioned this) is the battery compartment. It is cheap and flimsy (I broke the lid to the compartment on the first battery change!)

Lovely basses and would highly recommend them to anyone. I think 'guitar guitar' stock them so if you have one of those nearby you head down and you might be able to try one out. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Cheers.

Nice review!

I love mine too, although I bought it S/H and guess what? The battery box was broken! I just ordered one the same size but better quality off ebay for a few quid though so it's no biggie.

They are awesome, awesome basses, I just wish I could afford more!