Why become a member? ×

Double bass search. Looking for ideas :-)

geoffbassist

Hi Geoff,

I would suggest staying away from brand new instruments in that price range, it's just too much of a gamble. You don't know what the bass is going to sound like in a few years once it's settled down. Bryants that I've played have really impressed me for the money but I'd want one that had been played in. Take a trip down to Malcolm Healy's in Sutton and Thwaites in Watford to see what they have in. Also keep checking the adverts on [url="http://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales"]http://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales[/url], there's always some nice instruments on there and sometimes on [url="http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/dbassales.html"]http://www.musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk/dbassales.html[/url] too.

There are also a few organisations out there dedicated to helping starting out musos purchase instruments and if you're lucky, they could sort you out with an interest free loan or similar. Then buying a ten grand bass that will last you your whole career may be possible. Just a thought.

Main thing is take your time choosing. If you like really like one, take it away on trial, play gigs with it, have your mates and teachers play it to you, play in different acoustics etc. Just be sure its right for you.

Good luck with the search

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='772599' date='Mar 12 2010, 11:31 AM']The uptons look great, as do the new standards and wan bernadels but I really want to try before I buy. I know there are loads of great reviews of all these basses but it's too much of a gamble for me.[/quote]

Bassace has an Upton Professor, although he's near Oxford I believe so a bit of a trek from Manc-ie. You might want to have a chat with him. I hope to meet up with him one day and take a look at it myself.

I'm also keen to see what you find and what you end up with, will watch with interest :)

[quote name='Greydad' post='773239' date='Mar 12 2010, 10:33 PM']Bassace has an Upton Professor, although he's near Oxford I believe so a bit of a trek from Manc-ie. You might want to have a chat with him. I hope to meet up with him one day and take a look at it myself.

I'm also keen to see what you find and what you end up with, will watch with interest :)[/quote]

I've already been in touch with bassace and ended up ringing him for a chat. Great guy and really helpful. When I'm a bit less busy I intend to pop in for a visit.
Cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff, just realised you're in manc, Jon Thorne has really investigated the bass buying thing to the max he's had a Seitz, a bespoke Pollmann and several other mid range basses just to my knowledge (so I'm sure there will be more) If you haven't already spoken to him I'd say he'd be a good point of contact (I can put you in touch if you wish) also Steve Berry is up your way in Blackburn another very helpful bass brother. There is a lovely bass player in London called Tom Mason he bought a new bass I think it was in the 7K region and he was lucky it sounds really fab but I agree with Chris about the unknown possibles of a bass settling down.
It seems to me that you really are going to struggle below 10K to get something that will last you a lifetime.