Why become a member? ×

Fret noise

rtarnell

Hey,

So, this week I got my first bass, an Ibanez GSR200. So far, no problems... except I've noticed that when fretting notes, the string makes a noticeable 'click' against the fret. I don't mean fret buzz -- it only happens when I actually fret the note, but if I play the same note again, it's fine. Here's an example: [url="http://dump.flyingparchment.org.uk/bassnoise.mp3"]linky[/url].

Is this something I should be concerned about? A problem with my technique? Or is it normal?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You can get this if your truss rod adjustment is wrong. The string is rattling off all the other frets when you fret a note. Fret each string at both the first and last frets (use a capo or a friend if you need to). Check the clearance at the 12th fret. It should be just clear of the fret, certainly not touching (and not a huge gap either). A good setup might be the answer. It's well worth learning to set up a bass yourself but if you are not brave enough then a decent luther will do this for a smallish amount.

EDIT:
A small warning... there's lots of resources online for doing bass setups. Read them. It *is* possible to break things adjusting the trussrod. Understanding how it works and making cautious adjustments with the right tool is the way forward.

Edited by thepurpleblob

this sometimes happens to me on fretless too and I think it's more of an issue with timing your left hand and right hand. Fretting a note without plucking it usually makes a clicking sound, but depending how you time your plucking hand it might not be there - instead you'll almost be plucking it just *as* your left hand frets the note, so you'll get a nice poppy attack rather than a click. Also, playing with a lighter, slower touch in the left hand helps, so that you're not bashing the string into the frets as much.