Why become a member? ×

Roland cube 30 is playing up :(

johnny_frog

Hello all, my wee roland cube 30 has started acting a little strange, she's coming up for 2, any help/advice would be much appreciated...

It started at the weekend when i noticed that the delay/reverb effect wasn't working.
Took it into the lab at work today and stripped her down for a look see... and couldn't see anything.
The discrete componants on the board all looked ok and there were no signs of any blown tracks or burnt wires.
so as i don't use the delay/reverb effect i thought "nevermind" and put it all back together again and took her home.

started using her tonight only to find that the delay/reverb is now working, (although the led that is supposed to light up still doesn't)
however... now the 'models' won't switch off...

I kind o think she is sulking cos I brought home a Laney combo from that nice Mr. Thornybank's house on saturday.

Anyway, if anyone has had anything similar happen and has a fix i'd be very grateful if they'd share.
many thanks

Frog

It's likely that one or more components ha a dry joint or is breaking loose from the PCB. Being moved around and particularly vibration can do that to lighter weight circuit boards.

The other possibility is that it's a software issue, in which case it may just need a hard re-set (assuming it has the facility).

[quote name='The Burpster' post='762550' date='Mar 3 2010, 08:22 AM']I have a spare amp part if you wish to take it off my hands.......

Although if I remember rightly it has a similar fault and thats why I was gievn it.

the cab now houses a PJB `D-200 and a celestion speaker.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, I'll bear that in mind.

I only use the roland in the house because it has the headphone jack which means I don't have to subject my beloved to my amaturish plunking.

When i get time (prolly around the 6th of Octember) was thinking of stripping the whole thing down and seeing if I can just bypass the whole effects/modelling side and got straight from the tone controls into the amp... it's starting to smell like another project which will linger.