Why become a member? ×

AC/AC adapter needed 1300mA 9v?

Hit&Run

I bought a behringer tube preamp/DI box off ebay, like [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar04/articles/behringermic100.htm"]this[/url] which comes with a power supply.

Unfortunately the power supply has a 2 pin mains plug, so I have to plug it into my shaver adapter to use it. I bought it off someone from Ireland, I don't know if 2 pin plugs are the norm over there or not. That's beside the point...
It's not physically very stable when being used with the shaver adapter.

I assume that I'd be able to get a 3 pin version from a behringer dealer, but chances are it'll cost an arm & a leg. I'd have bought a 'proper' make if I wanted to spend big(ish) money!

I've got loads of boss style 9v adapters (admittedly they're from a brother typewriter, BT answering machine etc..) but the jack end is too big to fit the behringer.

I've got a couple of variable voltage/variable plug-size adapters that fit the unit, but it won't light up with them. The unit does light up with it's provided adapter & shaver combination.

I was thinking it must be the high mA requirements (it says 1300mA on the behringer adapter) that means my 'variable' adapters don't light it up.

So, is it the high mA requirement that means a 'normal' pedal 9v adapter is insufficient? And, do you know where I could get something that that would suffice?
I saw [url="http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/70759-ac-ac-adaptor-9v-2600ma-me090a260uk-pro-elec.html"]this[/url] online and wondered if it would do, though it's 2600mA, and I don't want to blow up the valve or the DI box!

I'm uber-confused. Can anyone help me out with their wisdom on this matter?

Thanks,
H&R

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='757683' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:41 PM']I've got loads of boss style 9v adapters (admittedly they're from a brother typewriter, BT answering machine etc..) but the jack end is too big to fit the behringer.

I've got a couple of variable voltage/variable plug-size adapters that fit the unit, but it won't light up with them. The unit does light up with it's provided adapter & shaver combination.

I was thinking it must be the high mA requirements (it says 1300mA on the behringer adapter) that means my 'variable' adapters don't light it up.[/quote]

The clue here is in the title AC/AC. Most 9-volt adaptors put out 9-volts dc. What your unit needs is AC, basically a transformer that puts out 9-volts AC. The supplied unit obviously puts out AC but all your other adaptors put out DC, hence no worky. CPC or RS ccomponents have them in wall-wart form.

Is this the same as the Whammy pedal's power requirements? I seem to remember that having a small connector, and 1.3A AC requirements. If so, I got a replacement power supply for my Whammy from Effect Power Supplies online store and it worked a treat. Dead quiet and compact compared to the Maplins one I was using too.

[quote name='obbm' post='757747' date='Feb 25 2010, 11:59 PM']The clue here is in the title AC/AC.[/quote]
I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. I never even thought about it!

I had seen one on RS, but I don't know if the jack would fit the preamp box, so I reckon I'll get one from [url="http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/70759-ac-ac-adaptor-9v-2600ma-me090a260uk-pro-elec.html"]here[/url]. It's not a wall wart, but I don't think that will matter for my intended applications.

As always, thanks for the advice.

H&R

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='758667' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:52 PM']I can't believe I didn't pick up on that. I never even thought about it!

I had seen one on RS, but I don't know if the jack would fit the preamp box, so I reckon I'll get one from [url="http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/70759-ac-ac-adaptor-9v-2600ma-me090a260uk-pro-elec.html"]here[/url]. It's not a wall wart, but I don't think that will matter for my intended applications.

As always, thanks for the advice.

H&R[/quote]

That looks like a very good solution, especially with the uncertainty regarding the connector size.