Why become a member? ×

Is this possible? or sensible?

cameltoe

I've got a Hartke VX3500 combo that I hardly ever use, purely because the majority of gigs we play just aren't big enough to warrant me lugging the thing around, plus I have a much smaller AC Euro amp, 200w, that does the job for everything but the biggest venues. I bought the Hartke from new, and I love the way it sounds. I like a nice, punchy sound so with my precision the 4x10 speakers do the job nicely. This is hard to replicate on my AC Euro that has just the 1x15" driver. Although loud enough, I'm not crazy about the sound I get from it. It was a fairly cheap second hand purchase.

Ideally, and looking back now, I should probably have bought a seperate amp head, with maybe 2 2x10 cabs, that way I could just bring the extra cab when I needed to really crank it, and the rest of the time I'd be using the head I like, with a 2x10 combo. There was a good deal on at the time with the combo though and it was a good price. It was my first bass amp, so I just kinda rushed into buying one without thinking it through.

A solution would be to sell the combo, and the AC Euro, and buy the stuff I need, but that's an awful lot of hassle, plus potentially lost money. A trade would be good, but that could take ages to find someone willing, and I may still end up worse off. Being a fan of finding a DIY solution, and realising I have all the components I need, I wondered if it would be advisable to basically hack my combo to pieces, and buy (if possible) or make new enclosures for the drivers to create the 2 cabs, and also to box the head seperately, thus allowing me to use the amp I like!

Has anyone done this before, would you advise it?

All suggestions welcome.

The head should slide out after removing the screws on top of the combo, you'll probably need to make a lid for it though as i don't think Hartke put them on the amps in combos. It'll just be the standard HA3500 in there, great amps!

Don't take a saw to it, cabs are specifically designed and tuned to give good results. Sticking 2 speakers in a box will probably sound disappointing.

Your best bet is to flog the combo and buy what you need i reckon
There's 2 Hartke 2x10 Transporter cabs on sale here for £120 the pair, have a look at those maybe?

EDIT: Here- [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78560"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78560[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks

The head should come out fairly easily by undoing the screws (you may need to take off the corner protectors to get at some of them) And it will be exactly the same as a normal Ha3500, including the lid on top (well mine is anyway!), this can be rackmounted or boxed or whatever fairly easily. You could then remove the wood creating the space where the head was, leaving you with a 4 x 10 and a separate head, which may be more convenientt, as those hartke heads are pretty heavy!

But I'd probably try and sell it and get what you really want!

Edited by Pkomor