Why become a member? ×

Speaker jack socket pos and neg question

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='755324' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:02 PM']I'm adding a jack and socket connection in a combo so I can use the speaker from another head if needed.

The question is: which side of the socket has the wire that connects to the speaker positive terminal?
The tip or ring?

Thanks[/quote]

I would suggest +ve to the tip however if it is only one speaker and one head then it doesn't matter. If you have more than one speaker then they need to be wired the same to be in phase (but then you knew that). :)

[quote name='obbm' post='755328' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:06 PM']I would suggest +ve to the tip however if it is only one speaker and one head then it doesn't matter. If you have more than one speaker then they need to be wired the same to be in phase (but then you knew that). :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah I knew that.. :)

I just wondered if there was a "standard" way of wiring cabs.

I assumed there was or else when you use two from different makers you could have them out of phase

[quote name='OldGit' post='755414' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:17 PM']Yeah I knew that.. :)

I just wondered if there was a "standard" way of wiring cabs.

I assumed there was or else when you use two from different makers you could have them out of phase[/quote]

From what ive heard, This happens all to often without people noticing!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='755432' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:23 PM']I would simply add that you must take care about exactly what kind of wires you attach to either your tip or your ring.[/quote]

Care to elucidate, Howard? I was planning to use speaker wire, as in a piece from a speaker jack to jack I've got...

[quote name='OldGit' post='755458' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:41 PM']Care to elucidate, Howard? I was planning to use speaker wire, as in a piece from a speaker jack to jack I've got...[/quote]

I hope he doesnt have a serious answer and it was intended as a joke - I had a right little giggle! :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='755602' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:30 PM']Sorry Si, the joke was a bit too tempting. Will try to be seeryarse in future.[/quote]

Ha ha
Ok, you wags...

In the end I took the combo head apart and had a look see..
Dunno if I was pos or neg to the tip but I did it the same as the ext speaker socket.