Why become a member? ×

ampeg sound help

Bucket Head

hi guys ive brought a ampeg svt pro 3 and i use it with an ampeg 4x10 svt classic cab also have a sansamp bass di and use a new american p bass. ive been dialing it and dialing it and i just cant get a sound that i really like to be honest, especilly the low end which some times i tune down and i dont really get the defintion in the low notes that i want, i like the crunchy sound that some bassists seem to get. i dont know wether its my bass being a passive bass with only the 2 pick ups that probly doesnt help. i dunno to be honest but if anyone knows some good settings for the old pro 3 or any advice wud be appreciated i have made quite a few posts on this site that have helped me loads hopefully ill get the same here its been driving me crazy

cheers

Hi there.

You might just be adding to much bottom end which is overpowering everything else. Start with everything flat or with the bass at about one or two o'clock. Then start messing around with the tube gain.

If you are tuning down, it might have nothing to do with your amp and more to do with your strings. If you are tuning down to around C with light to medium strings, you are not going to get a crunchy tone, as your strings will have lost a lot tension, to the point that you may start losing definition in your notes. My advice would be to use thicker strings if you are tuning down lower than drop d.

You shouldn't really be straying too far from a good tone using a Precision bass through an Ampeg rig.

Good luck

If the Cab is 4Ohms then it must be the Ampeg SVT410HLF your using, a cab with very nice deep lows and generally a great cab

Also i have always found the "Ampeg Tone" works better with Passive basses, infact in general if its rock gritty tone i have always found Active can't quite do it, but thats just me,

Maybe the lack of definition is the bass? Just a though, how much are you tuning down?

I used a 410HLF with a P-bass and a Mckagen in london a few months ago and it was great! the P-bass tuned down to an A!!!! (it was a 5 string) and the sound was still great!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='752448' date='Feb 21 2010, 01:41 AM']If the Cab is 4Ohms then it must be the Ampeg SVT410HLF your using, a cab with very nice deep lows and generally a great cab

Also i have always found the "Ampeg Tone" works better with Passive basses, infact in general if its rock gritty tone i have always found Active can't quite do it, but thats just me,

Maybe the lack of definition is the bass? Just a though, how much are you tuning down?

I used a 410HLF with a P-bass and a Mckagen in london a few months ago and it was great! the P-bass tuned down to an A!!!! (it was a 5 string) and the sound was still great![/quote]

well i tune down to c and occasionally use distortion which also doesnt sound that great, so its c g c f but yea i use medium gauge strings maybe buy a thicker guage. i was just thinking that maybe if i tryed a jazz bass it might help out

thanks for the replys so far trying it all out :)

set the peg flat and use the sansamp as a pre-amp to dial in the sound-easy peasy.or send your sansamp to me and I will make good use of it.
I f your tuning down you will need lots of power to release the low frequencies not necessarily bass more like low mid or mid mid.
hope this helps-try your bass sans sansamp to get a core sound then garnish it with the sansamp