Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG-600h

elliswasp

Hi all I;m new to this site and I just spent about an hour explaining my situation only to have the whole thing dissapear infront of me so this is the short short version.

Had a carsbro combo wasnt loud enough and i wasn't happy with the sound quality so i upgraded to a ashdown mag300 c210t combo and a 115 cab did a gig with it and it was massivly lacking in power took it back to the shop and upgraded to a mag 600h and bought a sperate 210t cab .

the new amp doesnt have a instruction manual for it well not one for the amp i purchased anyway its to a different set of amps, Go figure.

This probably a stupid question but as there are two outputs on the back of the amp and its a mono amp is there any diffeence in hooking both cabs up to an output each and hooking one up and the running a speaker cable from one to the next would the amp still be running at 4 Ohms as both my cabs are currently 8 Ohm cabs also does anyone know anything about these amps as i dont seem to be able to find much about them other than a thread on here wich seems to be fairly good and two others on another forum slateing them to hell.

Many thanks

Markus

P.S. I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes but im not correcting them all again as this is what caused my last post to dissapear.

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745702' date='Feb 15 2010, 11:46 AM']is there any diffeence in hooking both cabs up to an output each and hooking one up and the running a speaker cable from one to the next would the amp still be running at 4 Ohms as both my cabs are currently 8 Ohm cabs[/quote]

No difference - You got it...

[quote]also does anyone know anything about these amps as i dont seem to be able to find much about them other than a thread on here wich seems to be fairly good and two others on another forum slateing them to hell.[/quote]

I have one of (this family) of amps... They're fine.... The labelling of the buttons under the eq is non-intuitive, and I never use the sub-bass stuff.

Start off with the eq all set to the middle, turn up the input gain until you're getting mid-scale on the meter, and go for it...

Alan

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745702' date='Feb 15 2010, 11:46 AM']is there any diffeence in hooking both cabs up to an output each and hooking one up and the running a speaker cable from one to the next would the amp still be running at 4 Ohms as both my cabs are currently 8 Ohm cabs[/quote]

[quote name='AlanP2008' post='745722' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:06 PM']No difference - You got it...[/quote]

No difference in terms of impedence, but daisy chaining the cabs means that the output jack on the amp is handling the full 600 Watts, whereas plugging each cab into the amp seperately means each jack only needs to handle 300 Watts. I'd always try to run each cab to the amp seperately just for this reason - put less stress on the connectors and they're less likely to fail.

A

Thanks guy thats pretty much what i figured only reason i was asking is because the mag 300 i had first seemed so underpowered and i could figure out why the cabs i have now have a combined rating of 450w so 600 or should i say 575 should be fine i just think that running 300 threw a system requiring 450w+ was the problem im hoping that this amp will have the guts to cope with it all now.

Markus

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745756' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:30 PM']Thanks guy thats pretty much what i figured only reason i was asking is because the mag 300 i had first seemed so underpowered and i could figure out why the cabs i have now have a combined rating of 450w so 600 or should i say 575 should be fine i just think that running 300 threw a system requiring 450w+ was the problem im hoping that this amp will have the guts to cope with it all now.

Markus[/quote]

... well, the proof of the pudding etc. etc....

But you probably have *exactly* the same speaker setup now as you had with the combo... although you now have a 575W amp, rather than a 300W amp...

However, there is probably less difference than you imagine between 300W and 575W in simple loudness terms.... Still - try it and see...

Alan

its actually very missleading when you think about it they really should find a better way of measuring out volume a db rating or something wattage is really bad aspecially when you get peak power rms music power pmpo and all the others that are massivly over rated to make an amp sound better than it it.

Markus

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745802' date='Feb 15 2010, 01:11 PM']its actually very missleading when you think about it they really should find a better way of measuring out volume a db rating or something wattage is really bad aspecially when you get peak power rms music power pmpo and all the others that are massivly over rated to make an amp sound better than it it.

Markus[/quote]

I don't reallly think that Watts are a problem - they are measurements, etc... and they are what they are. It is *expectations* that are potentially the problem...