Why become a member? ×

Buying your first DB

mgibson

I've been playing bass for a while but would like to stretch out and throw in DB. If anyone could advise me about what to look for in your first DB, if i should go for a full scale , i'm six ft two inches, a traditional one or an acoustic, how much i should spend, stings, i know they can be like £100 or something (?), if there are any patcicular makes or anything. Please help!!!

P.S. yes i do have a potencial teacher and i know that i wiould like to learn so i'm prepared to put the money in for a half decent one.

Dont make the mistake i did And buy a cheap double bass, it will ocst you alot more in the end. Ideally for a first double bass i would say between 1500-2000 ideally which is what im trying to save to get my second learner double bass you could say.
You could buy from america from the likes of the string emporioum and get a nice laminate or hybrid double bass between 1000-1500 and then shipping is like $250 to here.

Im just over 6' and a 3\4 size is fine and is the standard size anyway unless your a 7 foot plus guy a 3\4 is fine.

I think evah pissatio's or soemthing a good bowing strings and around a 100.

And yes defiantly get a teacher no doubt about, youll probably never be able to play a double bass well without a teacher.

Hi MG,

I've just been through this experience and bored everyone to tears about it so don't see why you should be any different :rolleyes: see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76307"]here[/url]

There's another thread on basschat about Stentor double basses in the UK [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73187"]right here[/url] and others from new players if you hunt around a bit.

There is also an excellent thread called "Inexpensive basses in the UK" on the Talkbass double bass forum which is very useful (I won't link to it in deference to mein host but it's well worth a read).

I'm 6ft 1" and a 3/4 bass is fine. Typical lengths are around 41", 41.5" is common, mine appears to be 40.5" but I don't know if I'm measuring it correctly :)

Stentor seem to be ok, reasonably priced and have served many people on this forum well as an introduction to double bass. They also seem to respond well to setting up. I really love my Elysia, I have only just started but I'm playing it all the time and very much enjoying it A 3/4 Student II (not the cheapest model which is the Student I) , Conservatoire or Elysia will be fine BUT if new you must replace the strings and get a luthier to set it up for you. Budget at least £100-150 for strings (or more if you're flush) as the default factory strings are all steel and it's like playing with fencing wire. The Velvet Animas I bought from Greg Cordez are £230 new (although he did me a great deal :lol:) but worth every single penny imho. Check for secondhand strings here and elsewhere. Of course if you buy an instrument secondhand all of this may have been done for you.

Note that Elysias are £2300 list price new now, although £1800 street price - to which add £2-400 for set-up and strings. Student II's are about £1k and Conservatoire around £12-1300 I think.

As fatgoogle said, there's a lot of cheap mostly Chinese basses of questionable quality in the £500-ish range new which will probably just put you off. I think you can comfortably get started with something decent for £1000-1500. I got mine for £1400 (with case, stand, bow and pickup) but probably expect to change it in a few years for a posh one assuming I make a go of it. From reading other people's experiences you can get a decent bass s/h for £6-800 which will work well but make sure you have someone along who is knowledgeable to help you - mistakes can be costly. Often all that's needed is a set up for a few hundred but if it's cracked or needs major repair work it can cost you more than you paid for the instrument. Really cheap basses just don't seem to respond to treatment which is why they are best avoided.

Good luck it's a great thing to do I have no regrets so far and like you have come from electric bass. It is a different experience, much more physical. Have you played one yet? Getting a few lessons is a good idea to get the feel of it. Also look at renting one if there's a shop nearby that does that, a few months of renting will put you in a different position in terms of being confident about what you want.

Hope that helps, all IMHO, YMMV, etc etc

GD

My "student" double bass is a [url="http://www.achamilton.co.uk/Orchestral%20website/zellerbass.htm"]zeller[/url]. It's had a pro set-up & some gentle repairs with the seams working their way free over the 2 years I've had it. Bought it second hand with a bow, case, pick-up etc. (if you need a bow I have one spare) for a grand off an advert on gumtree.

Strings can be a pain as there are lots of different sorts & they're all sphincter-tigheningly expensive: however, keep your eyes peeled on here & ebay & there tend to be quite a few "tried these on my bass, they didn't really work" which are worth investigating. Plus you can always move them on here or on ebay with "these strings are like new, only had them on my bass for a week etc etc". Strings seem to vary more with individual basses than electrics, and the feel can be quite different between them.

Do you have a teacher who you could ask to try any basses out? It might cost you an hour of their time, but I have to say it's worth it.

Edited by dougal

You're taller than me, and my teacher recommended 4/4 size, which has been fine, but many people do play 3/4 size, particularly for Jazz
Gedo Musik in Germany sell a whole range of basses - laminates and solid body. If you're looking for something decent, their 'Solid State' (i.e solid wood) basses are well made out of nice-looking wood (built in Czech Republic, finished off and set up by Gedo Musik) and good value at around £1500 (including decent padded soft case and a basic bow) - at least as good as the Stentor and Zeller models.
Delivery to UK takes only a few days, via Dachser courier.

[quote name='mgibson' post='744561' date='Feb 14 2010, 09:21 AM']I've been playing bass for a while but would like to stretch out and throw in DB. If anyone could advise me about what to look for in your first DB, if i should go for a full scale , i'm six ft two inches, a traditional one or an acoustic, how much i should spend, stings, i know they can be like £100 or something (?), if there are any patcicular makes or anything. Please help!!!

P.S. yes i do have a potencial teacher and i know that i wiould like to learn so i'm prepared to put the money in for a half decent one.[/quote]

Edited by 27 frets