Why become a member? ×

Tapewound/flatwound double ball end strings

Wil

As I'll soon be in the possession of a headless bass, I fancy trying some flats/tapewound strings, as my ATK covers all the bases when it comes to roundwound sounds.

Can anyone recommend any particular brands to try? They can't be nickel wound, due to my allergies.

Edited by Wil

I got these today! I suppose the only thing I can compare them to would be some labella flats I once had. Less tension than those, more top end when you dig in, but these have a lovely soft feel and with the tone rolled off give a lovely dub reggae tone. I've been playing along with Bob Marley tonight, muting with my palm and plucking with my thumb, and it sounds lovely, well rounded and fat. Well worth a go if that's the sort of thing you're after - if I was playing motown I'd probably go for normal flats for the added tension and extra mid thump, but as mentioned these seem to shine when playing reggae and I expect they'll do well for blues too.