Why become a member? ×

Jack socket problems

dannyp

Can't believe I haven't asked for help until now! I've had a problem with the jack socket on my 4-string Warwick Fortress for years. I haven't gigged it for a while (a 5-string Jazzman acquired from these forums has taken preference) so wasn't too concerned. But I took it out last Saturday and was immediately reminded of its faults. Time to sort it out, methinks.

When a jack is inserted into the socket of the bass, the connection remains loose. This results in sporadic loud pops. The issue is definitely one of the connection of the jack to the socket and not a dry joint anywhere - I've checked this through. The difficulty is that the socket is well and truly recessed from both exerior and cavity ends. If I could reach the pins on the socket which connect with the jack, to bend them inwards a little, I would have done this.

Do any other Warwick owners have any experience of this? Does anyone have any advice on socket replacement? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance! Dan.

Muchas gracias, amigos!

Out of interest, Doc, is there a specific reason you recommend a stereo socket? The signal's mono, the instrument is passive...

I guess there's no harm putting in a stereo socket, and it future-proofs the bass against installing active circuitry in the future. But is there another, fundamentally obvious, reason I'm overlooking?

Also (and I'll search myself, for sure), any recommendations on a UK-based supplier? I'm loathe to spend as much or more in import duty and our beloved postal system's infamous 'handling fee' than the cost of the part itself!

[quote name='dannyp' post='739023' date='Feb 8 2010, 03:47 PM']Muchas gracias, amigos!

Out of interest, Doc, is there a specific reason you recommend a stereo socket? The signal's mono, the instrument is passive...

I guess there's no harm putting in a stereo socket, and it future-proofs the bass against installing active circuitry in the future. But is there another, fundamentally obvious, reason I'm overlooking?

Also (and I'll search myself, for sure), any recommendations on a UK-based supplier? I'm loathe to spend as much or more in import duty and our beloved postal system's infamous 'handling fee' than the cost of the part itself![/quote]
If the jack is recessed into the bottom of the body, chances are it's stereo barrel jack anyway. I am pretty sure they don't make a mono version in 1/4".
Don't order from a Guitar Parts supplier, go to Maplin. They are only £1.99 and they are Neutrik sockets.
Here's the details.
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223988"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223988[/url]