Why become a member? ×

Compressor noise?

alhbass

Dave,

I've been considering buying one of your VT1 compressors for a while now - though I've never yet managed to get my hands on one to try out, I'm pretty convinced by what I've read and heard from others - and I like the idea of spending my money on something handmade by a guy I can contact openly on a forum too - it's reassuring!

My one concern now is regarding the review on [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url] - I'm no technical expert, just a musician - but the writer seems pretty clued up (well, he's convincing to me anyway). Just wondering whether you'd be willing to respond to the observations he makes - particularly regarding the "noisiness" of the pedal? Perhaps you have done so already elsewhere?

I'm not attempting to stir up an online confrontation - honest! - I'm really just hoping to hear your point of view, and looking to be convinced to go ahead with the purchase in the absence of having been able to try one out myself.

What I'm after is good quality compressor (I've tried some cheaper ones - Digitech, Ashdown etc - and found them a waste of time) that I'll probably use mainly as a limiter for slap, but which is flexible enough to be used as conventional compression too when required. I'm currently playing a Jazz bass (that may change, but I'm likely to stick with passive instruments) and use MarkBass amp and cabs.

I'd be grateful for your advice/comments/reassurance... Thanks.

[quote name='alhbass' post='738714' date='Feb 8 2010, 09:20 AM']Dave,

I've been considering buying one of your VT1 compressors for a while now - though I've never yet managed to get my hands on one to try out, I'm pretty convinced by what I've read and heard from others - and I like the idea of spending my money on something handmade by a guy I can contact openly on a forum too - it's reassuring!

My one concern now is regarding the review on [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url] - I'm no technical expert, just a musician - but the writer seems pretty clued up (well, he's convincing to me anyway). Just wondering whether you'd be willing to respond to the observations he makes - particularly regarding the "noisiness" of the pedal? Perhaps you have done so already elsewhere?

I'm not attempting to stir up an online confrontation - honest! - I'm really just hoping to hear your point of view, and looking to be convinced to go ahead with the purchase in the absence of having been able to try one out myself.

What I'm after is good quality compressor (I've tried some cheaper ones - Digitech, Ashdown etc - and found them a waste of time) that I'll probably use mainly as a limiter for slap, but which is flexible enough to be used as conventional compression too when required. I'm currently playing a Jazz bass (that may change, but I'm likely to stick with passive instruments) and use MarkBass amp and cabs.

I'd be grateful for your advice/comments/reassurance... Thanks.[/quote]

It is fair to say that my compressor is better for live work then in the studio as it does add valve colour. There have been improvements with have helped with the noise issue. The writer of the review is also a "fan" and user of my overdrives.

Alhbass,

I've just picked up a second hand DHA bass compressor which you're welcome to borrow to try out - you're not far from me. PM if interested.

Dave,

The one I've bought is from September 2007. Do they improvements you mention above date from after this time, and if so, what roughtly would be the price of an upgrade?

Cheers,

Martin

[quote name='DHA' post='746601' date='Feb 15 2010, 10:17 PM']It is fair to say that my compressor is better for live work then in the studio as it does add valve colour. There have been improvements with have helped with the noise issue. The writer of the review is also a "fan" and user of my overdrives.[/quote]

OK - noted! Thanks.

[quote name='Kirky' post='754680' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:40 AM']Alhbass,

I've just picked up a second hand DHA bass compressor which you're welcome to borrow to try out - you're not far from me. PM if interested.

Dave,

The one I've bought is from September 2007. Do they improvements you mention above date from after this time, and if so, what roughtly would be the price of an upgrade?

Cheers,

Martin[/quote]

PM'd

[quote name='Kirky' post='754680' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:40 AM']Alhbass,

Dave,

Cheers,

Martin[/quote]

Not sure when all the mods took place. The main one is very simple and moving one wire on the i/p pad pad will do it. Send me a pic of the inside and I will tell you if it's done or not.

Also check that the i/p pad pot in LIN not LOG. - that's a big help.

Dave

Edited by DHA