Why become a member? ×

String Gauges for 6 string

alembic1989

I use light Elixirs set on my 7 string which I tune BEADGBE- so that's .040-095 or 100 for the standard four, a .032 for the high B and an Elixir guitar string which looks like it must be a .024 for the high E. I thought it was lighter than that but that's the lightest wound single string I can see.

Also a .125 for the low B if anyone's interested.
Hope that helps.

edited to add- that's on a 34" scale BTW. Also, keep some old string handy if you use the guitar string route- I had to thread on a bass ball end to get the top string to stay in the bridge.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='738058' date='Feb 7 2010, 01:22 PM']I use light Elixirs set on my 7 string which I tune BEADGBE- so that's .040-095 or 100 for the standard four, a .032 for the high B and an Elixir guitar string which looks like it must be a .024 for the high E. I thought it was lighter than that but that's the lightest wound single string I can see.

Also a .125 for the low B if anyone's interested.
Hope that helps.

edited to add- that's on a 34" scale BTW. Also, keep some old string handy if you use the guitar string route- I had to thread on a bass ball end to get the top string to stay in the bridge.[/quote]

Thanks for that.
I actually want a 7 string..and tune it like you...but I have way too many basses. What 7 string do you use...and have you ever played one of the ones from the 'far east'
Thanks for the info