Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp problem

Chappers

Hi,
I'm shopping for a valve amp, and went to see a second hand one today.
Amp played fine for a few seconds, allbeit through a crappy speaker, but the fuse blew.
The guy didn't have a replacement, so he's gonna replace it and I'll re-visit him later in the week.
Question is, I'm still interested in the amp, even if it has a fault, as the maker is local to me, but is there a common cause for blowing fuses on an amp?
I know naff all about the wizzardrey that goes on inside these things, but I don't think it's a basket case, as it played fine before the fuse blew (no buzzing, pops crackles or anything to suggest it was rubbish)
Cheers in advance.

According to Marshall (who should know a thing or two about valve amps)....

[i]"The most common symptom of valve failure is the blowing of the HT fuse. On some occasions after replacing the fuse the amp will work for a while but will blow the fuse again when it reaches full working temperature. This is the first warning sign that a valve is failing. If both the HT and mains fuses blow, then blow again on replacement, then it is pretty definite that at least one of the valves has short circuited and needs replacing."[/i]

But given that you don't know anything about the history of the amp then it's best not to assume that this is the fault.

If it is valve failure then bear in mind that a new set of power amp valves can be quite pricey, so you need to take that into account when looking at the cost of the amp.

[quote name='Chappers' post='736925' date='Feb 6 2010, 07:52 AM']Hi,
I'm shopping for a valve amp, and went to see a second hand one today.
Amp played fine for a few seconds, allbeit through a crappy speaker, but the fuse blew.
The guy didn't have a replacement, so he's gonna replace it and I'll re-visit him later in the week.
Question is, I'm still interested in the amp, even if it has a fault, as the maker is local to me, but is there a common cause for blowing fuses on an amp?
I know naff all about the wizzardrey that goes on inside these things, but I don't think it's a basket case, as it played fine before the fuse blew (no buzzing, pops crackles or anything to suggest it was rubbish)
Cheers in advance.[/quote]
what amp is it? gut feeling would be power valves on the way out.

[quote name='umph' post='739005' date='Feb 8 2010, 03:32 PM']what amp is it? gut feeling would be power valves on the way out.[/quote]

It's a "Woogie" made by a guy here in Adelside.

Seller just mailed me to say it's fixed with a new fuse, but I'm gonna check it out. Will let it warm up for a while and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...