Why become a member? ×

Can somebody recommend a good practice amp

Buzzy

Just recently got an Ashdown Perfect Ten, paid £105 from [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14407-ashdown-perfect-ten.html"]Dolphin Music[/url] and got it in a couple of days.

Very happy with the unit - it handles my low B admirably considering it's "only" a 10" speaker. It has a headphone socket which kills the speaker, and a cd/aux input which is brilliant for playalong practise.

Just one thing to note: When using an MP3 player, although the player will provide a stereo output, the combo only reproduces a mono signal. You get both channels, but "blended" into one. This is the same when using headphones - you get two identical channels, not a left and right.

It's a minor gripe though, and all-in-all I'm well chuffed and have no hesitation in recommending this unit.

:)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='735612' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:49 PM']Just recently got an Ashdown Perfect Ten, paid £105 from [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14407-ashdown-perfect-ten.html"]Dolphin Music[/url] and got it in a couple of days.

Very happy with the unit - it handles my low B admirably considering it's "only" a 10" speaker. It has a headphone socket which kills the speaker, and a cd/aux input which is brilliant for playalong practise.

Just one thing to note: When using an MP3 player, although the player will provide a stereo output, the combo only reproduces a mono signal. You get both channels, but "blended" into one. This is the same when using headphones - you get two identical channels, not a left and right.

It's a minor gripe though, and all-in-all I'm well chuffed and have no hesitation in recommending this unit.

:)[/quote]

Thanks Hot Tub,how does it sound if you crank the volume up?

I know this is going to sound 'nooby' for someone of my rate of playing and knowledge but my girlfriends 15w practice amp, crafter, packed full of tones, bursting at the small seems.
Honestly, i couldn't turn it off when i started using my 51 precision with it.... might get one myself but give it a try if you can find one and wouldnt cost much.

[url="http://www.surreymusic.co.uk/acatalog/Bass_Guitar_Amplification.html"]http://www.surreymusic.co.uk/acatalog/Bass...lification.html[/url]
there it is on there.

sorry for the gobbledygoop above, a better way to descride it is: for a solid state practice amp, you get a very warm valve amp without needing it to warm up.

all the best

[quote name='Buzzy' post='735586' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:19 PM']Any one got a suggestion for a practice amp,mainly for home use but sometimes might be used for a quiet band rehearsal.
Looking to pay around £100 tops.
thanks
Buzzy[/quote]

I got an orange crush cr35b a few years ago for about £100. It is 35 watts into a 12" speaker. It looks, and more importantly, sounds great. I tried a few with 10" speakers and they sounded too tinny and not Bass like, to my ears.
Make sure you look for the older cr35b, as the new range are all 10".
Cheers
thebassman

Edited by thebassman

[quote name='Buzzy' post='735690' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:14 AM']Thanks Hot Tub,how does it sound if you crank the volume up?[/quote]

It sounds bigger than it is! The "Deep" switch does what it says - low boost, mid scoop - but is really only noticable at more enthusiastic levels. Not sure how it'd fare up against a drummer (it is only 30w) but it's perfectly capable of p!ssing the neighbours off! Also, it stays clean - doesn't break up or grind at all (which is personally what I like), so if you want that sort of sound you're gonna have to factor in some sort of o/d or distortion pedal.