Why become a member? ×

Turning inserts into direct outputs

cheddatom

I have a mixer, which has insert points on every channel. I want to be able to use them as direct outputs. I tried last night with mono jacks, hoping that would work, but no. So, I have to use stereo leads, which is fine, but will that cut the signal to the main channel then?

Someone must make a lead for this situation, any ideas?

AFAICR, when you put a mono jack into an insert, you effectively 'break' the circuit. You need stereo to 2 x mono or 'insert looms' to return the signal to the mixer.
I take it you're sending the insert signal to an I/O interface? Is so, and the interface has returns then a simple insert loom will do it, no problem. You will only get the line level signal though... pratting about on the mixer will not affect the signal to the interface.

Studiospares do tip/ring/sleeve 'send & return' insert leads fairly cheap.

Edited by tombboy

I know I can buy insert leads, but if they break the signal it will be annoying. I want the send to go to the computer, but I can't really return from the computer 'cos monitoring that many tracks is a bit processor intensive. Also, I need some of the outputs from the PC.

So, what i'm wondering is, is there a simple way to send to the return AND the computer from the same stereo jack? I don't mind making my own leads but would prefer to buy something.

The insert socket is TRS with the sleeve being ground, tip is signal send and ring is signal return.

Normal insert cables will have a stereo jack at the mixer and two mono jacks at the other. So you have one jack going into your effect (or whatever) and another in the output, in order to return a signal to the mixer. If your recorder has an in and out (monitor?) for each track then you just need an ordinary insert lead. If not then you need some other way to return the signal back to the mixer.

Plugging in the insert lead effectively breaks the signal chain at that point so you need to wire your cable in such a way as to send the out signal right back to the mixer.

You can do that by using a stereo plug on the mixer end and soldering a link between the tip and ring. At the other end you have a mono jack that is connect just to the tip and sleeve.

I hope that makes sense.

Bear in mind that doing this is effectively splitting your signal and thus you will need to increase the gain in order to get the same level.

[quote name='Tengu' post='735158' date='Feb 4 2010, 03:48 PM']Plugging in the insert lead effectively breaks the signal chain at that point so you need to wire your cable in such a way as to send the out signal right back to the mixer.

You can do that by using a stereo plug on the mixer end and soldering a link between the tip and ring. At the other end you have a mono jack that is connect just to the tip and sleeve.

I hope that makes sense.[/quote]

That makes perfect sense ta! I can buy an insert loom, then just open the stereo jacks at one end and solder the rings to the tips.

You could use a Patchbay in half normalled mode to tap the insert send without breaking the signal patch. Much neater solution than making up loads of leads that are unuseable for any other application.

Much as I woudn't want to recommend Behringer stuff the 4 mode patchbay they make is good for this.

Gray