Why become a member? ×

Mixing old and new Fender Jazz pups

Shambo

So the neck pup on my S1 Jazz gave up the ghost the other day. It stopped working in the hands of a local accomplished bassist, who was mortified, and promised to rectify the situation. True to his word he came around yesterday with his toolkit and the nice 3 bolt mid 70's Jazz he'd been waxing lyrical about, (after feeling the weight of it, I'll never complain mine's too heavy ever again).

We identified the pup had given up, so he swapped it for one he'd taken out of his old Jazz, (which was already sporting some Seymour Duncan Antiquity's). I promised not to sell the guitar to crack converters until he'd promised to aquire a new set of stock Fender pups for me.

Today though, I've noticed my warm S1 tone has almost vanished. Without the S1 on it sounds alot harsher and barks, (not such a bad thing), but in series I feel I'm not getting even a quarter of the fuzzy warmth I used to.

Here's the question. Is it a bad idea to match a stock mid 70's neck pup with a mid 00's bridge pup?

Edited by Shambo

Are 70's jazz pups a different spec to more modern ones?
From my ear, the older one is alot louder than the more modern,(bridge), one. Is there some physics behind this?
Were older Fender stock pups hotter than newer ones?
I like the old pup but when I hit the series switch, I've totally lost the 'thump' I used to have. To the point where soloing the neck pup is the softest sound I can now get, (it used to be the S1 switch on, by a country mile). :wacko:

Edited by Shambo

• 1 month later...

Does anybody have any experience of putting humbucking/noiseless jazz pickups in a series circut?

I can't make my mind up with what to replace my pair with. Despite shielding the cavities in my jazz, it starting to sound as though I'm carrying a lightsabre around my neck. When I practice, seems everywhere I turn to face gives off some sort of electrical hum. Turn away from my hifi and I'm facing my amp, turn away from my amp and I'm facing my laptop, turn away from my laptop and I'm facing a table lamp. It's got to the point now where I practice looking out of the window... people walking past must be thinking I'm a right wazzock. :)

It's just possible the old-v-new has resulted in an 'out of phase' situation if the resultant series switching is thin and noisy.

Probably best to go back to a matched pair from the same era - I just happen to have a pair of USA Js from circa 2007 available if you're interested.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='773750' date='Mar 13 2010, 05:38 PM']It's just possible the old-v-new has resulted in an 'out of phase' situation if the resultant series switching is thin and noisy.

Probably best to go back to a matched pair from the same era - I just happen to have a pair of USA Js from circa 2007 available if you're interested.[/quote]
They certainly don't like each other, the older one bullies it's younger sibling. :)
PM'ed.

Anyone out there fitted noiseless/humbuckers into an S1 jazz? Did you like it?

Yeah, it's kaput alright. I can see a couple of mil break in the coil. If I'd have known it was so dainty I wouldn't have handed my screwdriver to my mate who wanted to adjust my pickup height. It needed sorting and I just hadn't got around to it yet. I didn't take my eyes off him and he wasn't rough with it...I suspect it was defective in the first place. :rolleyes:

Anyways, humbuckers in series? Is it a go'er? I'm not so sure and I don't want to make an expensive failed experiment. :)

Ah that makes sense. It sounded before like he was just playing it and it died on him. :)

If you can see the break, it may be possible for someone with reasonable soldering skills to patch it up for you.
Don't get the guy that broke in the first place to do it, he sounds like a hamfisted ass

• 4 weeks later...