Why become a member? ×

Little Giant 1000

thumperbob 2002

Sold my Marshall VBA 400 as it was getting a little (lot) heavy for me. It would have been OK if I was only doing 1-2 gigs per month but our diary is full so it had to go.

Been using a Markbass LMK through a Schroeder 1212l and used the Marshall to power the 1212L and 1515L for bigger gigs. Both systems sounded great.

I have bought an Ashdown little giant for to power one cab with the Markbass powering the other and dealing with the tone. At £249 delivered its the bargain of the century.

I really like this head so it looks as though I can power both cabs with the one amp- 500w at 4 ohms each side. Overall I can see that its really cheaply made and I`ll have to care for it otherwise it will simply fall apart.

The EQ seems a little thin but my bass- with everything flat -sounds great!! The input seems a little weak- bit like the old trace stuff but overall it goes LOUD.

I`ll try it out at the gig on Thursday- and take the Markbass too just in case.

For this price- even for a back up you cant go wrong. Really surprised. And its tiny.

Bob

• 2 months later...

I just picked up one of these today as a backup amp to my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. I A/B'd the 1000 against the 350 with a California PM Supreme, so a very good bass for the comparison. I was using an Ashdown 2x10 deep cab. Even at 8ohms both amps sounded very good, but the 350 was drier sounding and you could tell the 1000 had so much more headroom, even with only one 8ohm cabinet to play with. More later. :)

RE Looking after it, i use these boxes from B&Q:
[url="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9676728&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9392071}&fh_search=case&fh_refview=search&ts=1270508965181&isSearch=false"]http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?acti...;isSearch=false[/url]

The black one fits a LMII in and the blue one houses my Superfly (same size as the LG under all the casing), both with a bit of room for foam

Always a bit worried about carrying it in a laptop bag, those knobs are quite flimsy.