Why become a member? ×

Fret a Fretless

Oggy

[u][b]Fretting about re-fret and fret. [/b][/u]

I’ve started using BC regularly now; I’m loving it (Oh I feel a Mc D coming on). I’ve seen a couple of Bass’s advertised for sale that have either been born fretless or had the frets removed. I’m a bit long in the tooth now to start playing fretless Bass, but I’ve lusted after a couple of de-frets and fretless beauties I’ve seen on BC :wub: .

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to re-fret a de-fret or fret a fretless bass? :) I’m assuming that it can be done by a qualified Luther but would like to hear from anyone who’s had it done and roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks Guys.

Oggy :rolleyes:

[quote name='Oggy' post='733155' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:52 PM'][u][b]Fretting about re-fret and fret. [/b][/u]

I’ve started using BC regularly now; I’m loving it (Oh I feel a Mc D coming on). I’ve seen a couple of Bass’s advertised for sale that have either been born fretless or had the frets removed. I’m a bit long in the tooth now to start playing fretless Bass, but I’ve lusted after a couple of de-frets and fretless beauties I’ve seen on BC :wub: .

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to re-fret a de-fret or fret a fretless bass? :) I’m assuming that it can be done by a qualified Luther but would like to hear from anyone who’s had it done and roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks Guys.

Oggy :rolleyes:[/quote]

You're never too old!

Refretting a de-fretted bass shouldn't present a problem for a luthier, as most of the work (i.e. the setting out) has been done already, & it's also quite straightforward to saw out any inlays. The nut would probably have to be replaced, as they're usually cut lower for fretless. Expect to pay more for fretting a "blank" board.

As to cost, no idea. You could start by giving The Gallery in Camden a call - 020 7267 5458.

Pete.

assuming the defretting has left the slots intact then it should be reasonably easy and not much more than the cost of a refret

if the fret tangs have been left in then it might be a challenge to get them out

if it's a fretless then the dots on the side of the board will usually be lined up with the fret positions so there's a little more to overcome and therefore a cost issue (plus the extra work needed to cut the slots)

Don't knock it till you try it & you're certainly never to old to play fretless,it is nowhere near as difficult as you might think to play without frets,buy one of the basses you like the look of & give it a go, after all you can always put it up for sale again.Always plenty of help on the forum & check out "fretless bass lessons" on you tube,look out for Steve Bailey as a starting point, best of luck, mike b.

Thanks guys for getting back to me with the advice (see above), given me a bit to think about. I’ll keep an eye out and ‘perhaps’ pick up a cheap fretless to try it, I hate trying things out in music shops with the assistant breathing down my neck :) .

I would imagine that with some flat wounds and a piezo bridge pickup the tone would be quite amazing.

Oggy :rolleyes:

[quote name='Oggy' post='733803' date='Feb 3 2010, 10:00 AM']I’ll keep an eye out and ‘perhaps’ pick up a cheap fretless to try it, I hate trying things out in music shops with the assistant breathing down my neck :) .[/quote]

You could buy mine! I defretted it, so if you wanted to re-fret it I guess it wouldn't be too expensive....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72579"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72579[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='733900' date='Feb 3 2010, 11:31 AM']You could buy mine! I defretted it, so if you wanted to re-fret it I guess it wouldn't be too expensive....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72579"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72579[/url][/quote]

Nice try Conan :rolleyes: . £350 is a little rich for me, considering that I’d either have to sell it on or spend £??? on it to re-fret if I didn’t get on with the fretless thing. Thanks for pointing me at it though.

Oggy :)

I love this site, the feedback and comments are great reading - my boss thinks I'm enjoying my work :lol: