Why become a member? ×

own a Fender 1960 - 65 Jazz bass? I need your help!

wesfinn

Hello all!

bascally I'm about to start building a 1960 stack knob jazz bass to exacting details (apart from a fender logo). I really need to get some measurements off of an original instrument (1960 - 65) as the Fender RI's don't have the correct pickup placement measurements etc. If anyone owns one and would be kind enough to allow me to take the measurements I need I would be extremely grateful and theres a drink in it too! :) I'm going to be doing a build thread for this build so everyone can see how it goes. I will be using period correct tooling and materials (where possible) so should make an interesting build!

please PM me if you can help me!

thanks

Wes

[quote name='wesfinn' post='731160' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:34 PM']haha...Its going to get my name on it! I'm proud of the instruments I make :)[/quote]

Very good!
It'll sell more with the Fender logo on though lol
Nash & Bravewood know it :rolleyes:

Good luck with it though, sounds really interesting, and because Bravewood isn't going anymore, you could have a market open to you

Si

Disclaimer:
Not that Nash or Bravewood have EVER made a guitar with a fender logo

[quote name='Sibob' post='731269' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:30 AM']Very good!
It'll sell more with the Fender logo on though lol
Nash & Bravewood know it :)

Good luck with it though, sounds really interesting, and because Bravewood isn't going anymore, you could have a market open to you

Si

Disclaimer:
Not that Nash or Bravewood have EVER made a guitar with a fender logo[/quote]

Haha, Yeah thats the plan. my website is being made at the moment. I'm going to doing custom stuff too. just trying to build it up slowly.

I reckon the fender decals must magically appear on them..Im suprised vintage and rare havnt had a call from fender about the nash' they have in there with fender decals!

[quote name='wesfinn' post='731541' date='Feb 1 2010, 12:12 PM']Haha, Yeah thats the plan. my website is being made at the moment. I'm going to doing custom stuff too. just trying to build it up slowly.

I reckon the fender decals must magically appear on them..Im suprised vintage and rare havnt had a call from fender about the nash' they have in there with fender decals![/quote]

Haha!
The Nash's I saw at V&R didn't have any decals on the headstock, but that was a year ago maybe. The Gallery have a Fender logo'd Nash, and Clarky's Nash has a logo.
Magical indeed!

Are you going to include such small details as the router hump in your relic builds?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='731554' date='Feb 1 2010, 12:21 PM']Haha!
The Nash's I saw at V&R didn't have any decals on the headstock, but that was a year ago maybe. The Gallery have a Fender logo'd Nash, and Clarky's Nash has a logo.
Magical indeed!

Are you going to include such small details as the router hump in your relic builds?

Si[/quote]
The one in V&R had a logo and a sign saying "This is NOT a Fender". It was one of the most horrid basses I've ever set fingers on, neck like a club.

[quote name='silddx' post='731575' date='Feb 1 2010, 12:31 PM']The one in V&R had a logo and a sign saying "This is NOT a Fender". It was one of the most horrid basses I've ever set fingers on, neck like a club.[/quote]

I haven't tried it
Funny how these things can vary.
The one I tried in Gallery was very nice indeed, great neck, great sound. If I had money to burn, and more space at home, I'd have gone for it!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='731554' date='Feb 1 2010, 12:21 PM']Haha!
Magical indeed!

Si[/quote]

yes will have router hump, correct pin dowels, reproduction caps etc. I will be making the truss rods myself (you cant buy vintage correct size rods any more). finger boards are going to be brazillian rosewood, sideway installed vintage frewire, clay dots (will not be the same as original clay dots as the material fender used is no longer available) full nitrocellulose paint jobs, cellulose gurads pickups on the first batch will be bareknuckles however im going to make/wind my own eventually :)

I'm excited about it all