Why become a member? ×

Danelectro strings

500/1bassman

I have a Danelectro Longhorn Dead on 58,this came with roundwound strings,i have changed these for a set of Hofner flatwound that i use on my violin bass and they sound great!The only problem is the scale length as part of the actual speaking length of the string goes round the tuner post on the E & G strings.I know that LaBella make a set of flatwound for the Danelectro but seem to be a very light gauge.Any ideas? 500/bassman

[quote name='500/1bassman' post='730630' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:39 PM']I have a Danelectro Longhorn Dead on 58,this came with roundwound strings,i have changed these for a set of Hofner flatwound that i use on my violin bass and they sound great!The only problem is the scale length as part of the actual speaking length of the string goes round the tuner post on the E & G strings.I know that LaBella make a set of flatwound for the Danelectro but seem to be a very light gauge.Any ideas? 500/bassman[/quote]

I'm no expert, but I am interested in Danelectro Longhorns as I've been considering getting one. I believe their kind of intended to be strung with lighter gauge strings, which is probably why the La Bellas made for it are light. My limited experience of La Bellas is that they're usually excellent though, so I'd trust their judgement myself...

I recently put a set of the LaBella 'danelectro' strings on my longhorn. They fit better than the ancient rotosounds I had before. They still have a bit of a 'new-string' twang and tend to show up a bit of fret buzz dead strings was masking, but that should go soon hopefully. I like the feel of them. Not as classy as TI JF324, but the TIs won't fit. The bit that goes on the tuner is very thin compared to just about any other bass string - in fact its more like a geetar string there, also they smaller ball ends which fit the bridge better. I think these strings are supposed to be exactly the same as the ones LaBella made for danelectro which were fitted to the original basses in the 50s & 60s.