Why become a member? ×

High pass filters and guitar cabs

Mr. Foxen

More idle imagination rig building.

If I use the crossover in my preamp to send everything over 100hz to a guitar amp, into a guitar cab (or one that doesn't like much by way of lows) will I still get hte same sort of sounds from it as if I were to send full range, less the sub 100hz, or does the bottom stuff hitting the amp make higher harmonics I'll be missing out on sending signal without those lows?

Anyone use guitar rigs as part of their bass setup? Toying with using the high pass in the preamp to shoot that signal into a guitar head into my ABM 8x10 (only rated to 70hz by Ashdown and inclined to fart out with detuning) for driven valve growlyness (that I love) and still get bowel loosteng bottom elsewhere. Plus the option of feedback that goes 'eeeeeep' without tweeter nastyness, or that low mid feedback you get sometimes that is not so handy for not having a guitar player.

Now you're just scaring me.....

I sometimes use my SWR eq as a high pass filter, but just to protect the speakers on "loud" gigs....but my definition of loud is very different from yours!

To be honest I think the simplest and safest way (excluding your hearing) is to use full range signals and just exploit the differences responses inherent in different cab designs, with eq as a fine tuning? Even high-tuned-banjo-playing Stanley Clarke used to use Marshal guitar amps to give mid range crunch (I believe its called, never had a use for it myself).

Find head/cab combinations that sound good, then find a way of linking them without bad earth loops? Then find a venue where you can make that sort of noise...next door would be ideal?