Why become a member? ×

Best Fender Jazz copy?

saxobass

Getting too old and musically poor to afford a new fretless Jazz, so can anyone tell me what the best copy might be.? I know that the Squier modified jazz fretless has a good reputation, but I don`t like the fret lines. I have been using a superb Tokai Jazz Sound which has been converted ( a 1982 model....copy of the `62 Jazz). This belongs to a mate but I don`t think he`ll want to sell it, so I`ll be looking for a modern copy and would like your assembled opinions as to the `best buy`. Don`t mind de-fretting if needed.

Edited by saxobass

[quote name='saxobass' post='722563' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:31 PM']Getting too old and musically poor to afford a new fretless Jazz, so can anyone tell me what the best copy might be.? I know that the Squier modified jazz fretless has a good reputation, but I don`t like the fret lines. I have been using a superb Tokai Jazz Sound which has been converted ( a 1982 model....copy of the `62 Jazz). This belongs to a mate but I don`t think he`ll want to sell it, so I`ll be looking for a modern copy and would like your assembled opinions as to the `best buy`. Don`t mind de-fretting if needed.[/quote]

Hey

If you are going fretless why not pick up a CV Jazz or Tokai Jazz S/H, or even a VM 70s Jazz (the fretted one) and then go for a warmoth fretless neck without lines? Also the SX Jazzes get a fab rep for the money and they seem to beg for some cool mods!

Are you looking for new or used? Either way you might find it a bit tricky finding an unlined fretless Jazz - even for Fender Japan money. It's all Jaco's fault! Like Absolutpepper said, maybe you could go the Warmoth neck route - you could get a body off fleabay and add the pups & hardware you want then. You might still have change left from what you'd have to spend on an 80's Tokai Jazz. I had one for a while and yes, they're very good indeed.

[quote name='henry norton' post='723895' date='Jan 25 2010, 10:23 AM']Are you looking for new or used? Either way you might find it a bit tricky finding an unlined fretless Jazz - even for Fender Japan money. It's all Jaco's fault! Like Absolutpepper said, maybe you could go the Warmoth neck route - you could get a body off fleabay and add the pups & hardware you want then. You might still have change left from what you'd have to spend on an 80's Tokai Jazz. I had one for a while and yes, they're very good indeed.[/quote]
Really like the Tokai, even though it needs a bit of work, and would probably benefit from a new bridge instead of the original. I would really like my buddy to agree to sell it to me, although I don`t know what a good price would be. It`s the `82 or `83 version- a little dinged here and there but basically sound and quite smart. It has Bartolini replacement pickups, although he still has the originals. The defretting job could be improved, although its a lot better than some I`ve seen. I like it!
If I have to look beyond the Tokai I would be content with a decent second-hand job for defretting since I`m quite competent with jobs like that and have completely rebuilt several double basses from semi wrecks.
Incidentally, if I have to defret what filler material would anyone recommend for a seamless finish on the average rosewood board?
Thanks everyone for the messages so far.

I think if the Squier is too much for you and possibly not your cup of tea, try defretting if you find something you like.... i did this with my Ibanez 5 string and got a REAAALLLLY nice fretless out of it though cacked myself incase i didnt like it.

one thing though, if you do decide to defret, i know some ''DIY fretless'' sites recommend using Epoxy glue/resin stuff but it ended up messing my (rosewood) fretboard up but after using super glue and the epoxy (both you can get from the £shop) worked a treat: still holding strong and gives some good sustain too.

[quote name='lowfer' post='726307' date='Jan 27 2010, 01:35 PM']there is infact an article of how to do this in the latest Guitar and Bass (i think thats what its called). Pop into WH Smiths in your luch break and have a gander[/quote]
You`re talking about my `library`. Will do!