Why become a member? ×

RGT grade 4 bass?

Sarah5string

I've just started bass lessons and want to do my bass gradings. My tutor advised me to start on grade 4 and get the book, after which he'd go through it with me in addition to normal lessons. I had no knowledge of theory before my lessons and have only really just started. The next exam is in June/July and my tutor's advice was to just book either the summer or winter one and just go for it. I've never done any gradings before so just wondering how realistic going from nothing to a grade 4 in just under 6 months? I am fairly confident that the pressure would make me practice and make me do it.. but I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are?

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='721942' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:23 AM']I've just started bass lessons and want to do my bass gradings. My tutor advised me to start on grade 4 and get the book, after which he'd go through it with me in addition to normal lessons. I had no knowledge of theory before my lessons and have only really just started. The next exam is in June/July and my tutor's advice was to just book either the summer or winter one and just go for it. I've never done any gradings before so just wondering how realistic going from nothing to a grade 4 in just under 6 months? I am fairly confident that the pressure would make me practice and make me do it.. but I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are?[/quote]

Go for it Sarah, IME the early grades are aimed at absolute beginners. I started trumpet at grade 5 and my sister started violin at Grade 5. Admittedly that was a good 25 years ago now, but at the time Grade 5 was the first that required a little knowledge of music theory (and it was only a little). As you've been playing for a while, even performing live, I'm confident that you'll already be at grade 4 standard or beyond and be able to pass the test without massive amounts of pain.

I teach the Rockschool Grades. Grade 4 is a good solid standard, and how easy you find it depends on where you are at the moment.

If I were you I would ask the teacher to see a couple of the pieces before you get the book. That way you will have a feel for what is involved. Your teacher should be happy to let you see what is involved first. Tell them you are not sure about the level, and they should understand.

With my students I often work through a grade book without entering them for an exam, particularly if they have never done it before. Then when they know what is involved and are ready, they can be entered for the next grade up. TI is important that the student is confident and happy, and not anxious as this can have a detrimental effect on learning.

Maybe pop into a music shop and have a look at a few of the grade books?

I teach the grades aswell-both RGT and Rockschool.
It's very difficult for me to say how you would go on with Grade 4 without
seeing you play,but I wouldn't book the exam date and then cram for it. It may be
harder than you thought or there are outside reasons that prevent you from studying.
Just because you've been playing live doesn't mean it'll be relatively simple for you-I've had students that have
been playing for a while that struggle with Grades 1 and 2. It's a different discipline than band playing.
What I usually do is start with Grade 2 or 3 and see how you get on with them. If you can blow
through Grade 2,we'd move on to 3 without doing the exam-unless you really wanted to.
I also wouldn't go through the exams in addition to your regular lessons.It's best if you do it
in conjunction with them,and be prepared to slightly veer away from the Grade material at times,to make
sure that you understand what you are doing,and not just spewing out patterns.

If you want to know anything,get in touch-I'm only in Stoke.

Something else that might be worth saying - unless it's changed dramatically since the last time I looked at it a few months ago, the RGT system doesn't have 'pieces' like Rockschool does - it's a different system that puts more emphasis on being able to think like a musician, and as such it does take a bit of getting used to for someone brought up on the Rockschool format.

Sarah, I'm RGT registered and used to host exams at my teaching studio. If you'd like a bit more detailed info about the RGT system, drop me a PM.