Why become a member? ×

GK 1001RB + 410RBH

Duyster

Hi,

I'm looking for a new amplifier. For a couple of weeks now I am quite fond of the Gallien Krueger 1001RB.

I can order it here:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/be/gallien_krueger_1001_halfstack.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/be/gallien_krueger_1001_halfstack.htm[/url]

The problem is, I live in Belgium and I've been in MANY music stores, never a GK..

I like a good clean sound with much attack, but it has to have enough bass. A little growl is no problem, but I don't want to get the sound distorted if a add just a little bit of volume. I like the sound of Flea, Justin Chancellor and Jamiroquai and I basically play funk/rock/pop/... I rarely use a pick and I like slapping.

Is this a good choice?

I know nothing about electronics and I've seen other topics where the ohm difference is discussed. Unfortunately, It's still not clear to me. Is the cab that comes with the amp on the website above a good choice? Will it 'fart' and should I look for another brand or is it just fine?
Also: Any reason to get a 700RB instead of a 1001? I've heard that the 700 is a bit warmer and that many bassists don't need the extra power of the 1001...

Thanks A LOT!

Thomas

A great amp! Should do the job perfectly....
I have the 1001RB myself.... & have used the 700 in the past... didn't really notice any real difference in tone... the 1001 just has more headroom.. but both have plenty of power.

The cab in that Thomann deal is well suited ....at 8 ohms you will get about 460Watts out of it, if you added another 8 ohm cab [i](making a total of 4 ohms)[/i] it can deliver up to 700Watts.

Using a GK cab means you can utilise the Bi-amping feature... check out about it here: [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/1001RB-II_700RB-II.pdf"]GK RB1001/700 manual[/url]
I use my head with Aguilar cabs, sound fat & articulate to me ...lovely!

Check the GK website to see if there are any dealers near you.....

Sorry to bother you guys again, but are there any alternatives in the price range (1500 euro = approx. 1444 GBP = 1648 USD), or is this the best choice? I want to be very very sure :)

I can find little sound samples of the 1001RB-II on youtube to compare with other amps.
I only played on an Ampeg SVT-3 before and I didn't like the sound, it was too dull for me, I like a little bit more punch/attack/definition, without losing the lows...

Hey Dude

Glad to see you're on the hunt for the GK. I personally have the 2001RB and a couple of 410RBHs. Both are amazing and you'd never need another rig. I'm not sure on the Euro price but its worth looking at the GK Fusion range, for something a little different. They have a valve pre-amp with the power amp from the 2001rb (i think) If going valve isn't your thing then stick with the 1001rb.

Any GK questions, send me an PM!

[quote name='Duyster' post='725869' date='Jan 26 2010, 11:02 PM']Sorry to bother you guys again, but are there any alternatives in the price range (1500 euro = approx. 1444 GBP = 1648 USD), or is this the best choice? I want to be very very sure :)

I can find little sound samples of the 1001RB-II on youtube to compare with other amps.
I only played on an Ampeg SVT-3 before and I didn't like the sound, it was too dull for me, I like a little bit more punch/attack/definition, without losing the lows...[/quote]

[quote name='Duyster' post='725869' date='Jan 26 2010, 11:02 PM']Sorry to bother you guys again, but are there any alternatives in the price range (1500 euro = approx. 1444 GBP = 1648 USD), or is this the best choice? I want to be very very sure :)

I only played on an Ampeg SVT-3 before and I didn't like the sound, it was too dull for me, I like a little bit more punch/attack/definition, without losing the lows...[/quote]

If you support UK businesses and buy the head from bassmerchant and the cab from gak then you'll save yourself about£120 and a lot of hassle if something goes wrong with either of them!

[quote name='JackLondon' post='726111' date='Jan 27 2010, 10:28 AM']If you support UK businesses and buy the head from bassmerchant and the cab from gak then you'll save yourself about£120 and a lot of hassle if something goes wrong with either of them![/quote]
I don't see it being any less hassle to buy from the UK. It's probably easier and cheaper to send something heavy back from Belgium to Germany than it is to send it from Belgium to the UK!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Yesterday I played on a [b]Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo[/b], I was very impressed! I still didn't got to try out a GK though.
I think (especially with the Markbass heads, because they are so light) that I might go for a head and cabinet. A combo doesn't have that many options in my opinion...

I've heard that the amp inside the JB combo is similar (or even the same as) to the [b]Little Mark III head[/b].
Now because there weren't any [b]15" or 4x10"[/b] in the store (only a 12"), I could not check them out. I have only the money for [b]one[/b], so a combination is, at the moment, not possible...

Any thoughts about what may be the best for me (pop,rock, funk, slapping)?

Is there a significant difference between the New York, Standard, Club (I've heard that this is for 'beginners') or Traveler [b]in sound[/b] ?

Thanks!!

I own a GK 700RB-II and I'm waiting on an order for the 210RBH.

To be brutally honest, I don't really see the point of having massive bass stacks (or guitar stacks for that reason). By the time you're playing stages big enough to warrant 700w amps, they should have a good enough PA that the power section of your amp is basically irrelevant as you'll either be DI'd or mic'd up. In either case, how many cabs you have and what volume they're pushing out (obviously as long as it's enough to drown out background noise, which won't be a problem with any GK) won't affect your sound at all. It could potentially even cause problems for the soundman if you're too loud.

For a GK 700RB and a 210RBH you're looking at under £1000, which, for the same sound as a 1001RB and 410RBH, is a much better deal IMO.