Why become a member? ×

Tailpiece Wire

CoolCat

...Ccccrrrack ... (what was that?) :lol: ....BLOOM!! Ouch!! :rolleyes:

Tailpice wire gone after 10min in on my warm-up session (at home) last Saturday. Quite frightening as it sounded like there was a crack on the wood somewhere before exploding parts flew all over...

Turns out that the cheap tailpiece "steel" wire was rusty in a out of site section and just fraied until snaping. :)

No damage to the bass, just the strings and tailpiece dangling free and bridge and tuner flying across the room.

Heartbreaking to spend the weekend looking at the bridgeless bass in a corner.... 1 or 2 days until new wire arrives.

Check your wires now!...specially the bit tucked on the tailpiece holes...

Edited by CoolCat

You're lucky it happened at home. It happened to me on a gig when I was using one of those aluminium three point bridges. So the bridge and its three separate feet were launched into the audience. Luckily I managed to retrieve them all.

I also had a tailpiece wire let go while I was tuning up just before a gig. It's disheartening to be winding your tuner [i]up[/i] and the note goes [i]down[/i]. So I reckon that this sort of failure is not as uncommon as might be supposed. Any other experiences?

Edited by bassace

Whilst watching a bluegrass gig in Leeds, the wire let go at the start of the last number. The poor young lady playing DB nearly had a heart attack when it popped. Sounded like someone let off a firework in the bass. Scared the poop out of a lot of the audience as well.
Luckily, no damage other than pride on that occasion. :)

[quote name='bassace' post='716780' date='Jan 18 2010, 04:56 PM']You're lucky it happened at home. It happened to me on a gig when I was using one of those aluminium three point bridges. So the bridge and its three separate feet were launched into the audience. Luckily I managed to retrieve them all.

I also had a tailpiece wire let go while I was tuning up just before a gig. It's disheartening to be winding your tuner [i]up[/i] and the note goes [i]down[/i]. So I reckon that this sort of failure is not as uncommon as might be supposed. Any other experiences?[/quote]

My tailpiece 'wire' went a couple of weeks back too, and i wasn't even playing it at the time - maybe it's sometihng to do with recent the weather conditions! This was a nylon version supplied with the bass (1 year old), but having checked on replacements I went for the steel version made by Wittner, which seems pretty good. Stringzone do them online at a good price, and free delivery.

No serious damage, and all fixed now.

Mine once went when I wasn't even playing the bass aswell...not surprising as it's a cheap chinese bass and the wire supplied with it was puny and thin looking! Didn't do any other damage though!

I replaced it with one of these: [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_sure_lock.htm"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_sure_lock.htm[/url]

It's loads better and ideal for a cheap bass as it's affordable, reliable and easy to fit!

Edited by jonny-lad