Why become a member? ×

Advice on fretless bass + GR20 guitar synth please!!

AhBootsybaby

Dear bassplayers

I have recently bought a Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass and put a badass bridge on it, BUT it still sounds a little dead to me, regardless of how I adjust the tone controls, it sounds rather flat and dull sounding :rolleyes: I'm playing it through a roland bass cube which sounds quite bright so I think its the bass rather than the amp.

Question is do I try and fit active pickups to try and improve the sound or should I just buy a better fretless bass? I dont haver a huge budget but maybe I've trying to cut corners too much? Does anyone else out have problems with the squier fretless?

If I was going to spend say £400-500, the next level up what would anyone recommend? Fender Standard? Warwick corvette? or should I save my pennies and get an American Jazz Bass, are they significantly better?

My bass of choice would probably be a Wal or Pedula but aint got that kind of money :)

Also I'm thinking of perhaps getting the roland GR20 guitar synth to use with the fretless, has anyone used this combination, does the synth have problems tracking a fretless bass?

Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated, I really want a warm bright sounding fretless bass sound not a dull, flat thud and anyone who has used the synth I would be interested in your views

cheers

Brownie

Hi Brownie and welcome to the forum :)

The section you've posted in is for intros - as in "Hi I'm X and I'm blah blah blah". You might get some thoughts but if you'd like a more comprehensive response to your questions, try posting them across these forums:

* Dull sounding Squier & Fitting active pick-ups > Gear > Basses

* What's good for £400-500 > General bass discussion

* Synths > General bass discussion

Anyhow, hope you enjoy yourself here!

• 2 weeks later...