Why become a member? ×

GS112 is poorly :(

karlthebassist

Just come home from a rehursal and half way through the last song we were going to play, the bass drops out...

The tweeter is still making noise but the woofer is doing bugger all. Tried my head through my lil'1x10 cab and its working fine so definately the cab.

Took it apart - the crossover looks fine. Nothing has popped/come loose etc, and all the connections are solid to both the tweeter and woofer.

I assume that the crossover in the GS112 is a high pass filter only, rather than there being a low pass for the woofer as well, so I suppose the woofer voice coils have packed in.

I was driving it at about half volume and just over half gain with my LMII and playing my Stingray with no pedals or anything in line. Is this most likely just a component failure on the cab and a warrenty claim, or could I have broken it? Anyone had dealings with Aguilar re: warrenty before?

Cheers chaps/chapettes

Karl

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='705846' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:21 PM']Just come home from a rehursal and half way through the last song we were going to play, the bass drops out...

The tweeter is still making noise but the woofer is doing bugger all. Tried my head through my lil'1x10 cab and its working fine so definately the cab.

Took it apart - the crossover looks fine. Nothing has popped/come loose etc, and all the connections are solid to both the tweeter and woofer.

I assume that the crossover in the GS112 is a high pass filter only, rather than there being a low pass for the woofer as well, so I suppose the woofer voice coils have packed in.

I was driving it at about half volume and just over half gain with my LMII and playing my Stingray with no pedals or anything in line. Is this most likely just a component failure on the cab and a warrenty claim, or could I have broken it? Anyone had dealings with Aguilar re: warrenty before?

Cheers chaps/chapettes

Karl[/quote]

Aguilar are pretty good at responding to emails - normally a day or two.
However, as with most overseas companies, be prepared to ship it back to your local dealer, who may handle the return.....

My GS112 has done me proud.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='705846' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:21 PM']I was driving it at about half volume and just over half gain with my LMII and playing my Stingray with no pedals or anything in line. Is this most likely just a component failure on the cab and a warrenty claim, or could I have broken it?[/quote]

It's more likely to be a faulty driver or connection than anything else. These things are fairly simple to troubleshoot with a meter. If you'd broken it, you would probably be able to smell burning. Use a 9-volt battery across the bass driver terminals to check whether it's dead. There shouldn't be anything else (like a crossover or an amplifier) connected to the driver while you're doing it. If the driver fails to respond to a 9-volt battery across + and -(it should burp), it's gone to the loudspeaker graveyard in the sky.