Why become a member? ×

LIVE PROBLEM! NEED HELP

civictiger

Hey guys

I'm in a Muse tribute band, we did our first gig last night.
However, When we were sound checking, if ever my Big Muff was set at a too high level it would start feeding back from my amp whenever there is NO signal going into it. So I have to Stomp it on/off whenever I am not playing anything. When I do play, it doesnt feed back.

Is there ANY way I can get rid of this problem? and I am on a very tight budget atm 'til we do our first few gigs for free and then we will be earning big bucks through a manager that wants to get hold of us and said he'd make us rake the cash in!

So, I REALLy need your help here, is there anything I can do to stop the feedback sound without turning the volume of the pedal down, because I need it set at that level to cut through my low end, cus I keep a lot of my low end up anyways with the Big Muff and other effects.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='civictiger' post='696609' date='Dec 30 2009, 06:41 PM']no matter where my pedals are it still feeds back, due to the high gain signal going into the amp from the level of the pedal.[/quote]
hi,
i get the same problem, so i would like to hear more.. the noise-gate seems to be the way to go.
for starters my bass signal is active, so i think that the 'hotter' your signal gets, the more detrimental to the big muff ! i find that compression is needed on the way in..

Just to add, you are right to go with the noise gate. A noise suppressor does the same thing and when I bought a Boss NS-2 it cleaned up my signal perfectly.

As long as you mean a hissy feedback and not a squeely overdriven feedback anyway. The noise gate/suppressor only gets rid of noise (hiss) from your signal not feedback (AFAIK anyway).

Isn't feedback usually caused by the signal from the speakers, being picked up by the pickups on the guitar, thus creating a loop of sorts? At least I think I remember reading something like that. If so, as already mentioned, try standing as far away from your amp as possible and/or turn down.

If that doesn't work (small practice space/stage) or isn't feasible, I second a Boss NS-2 or if you want to spend a bit more for something a bit better an ISP Decimator.